By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - HQ Rune Factory Frontier images.

Bodhesatva said:

This, Tenchu 4, Mad World, Fatal Frame 4. I'll tentatively state that Japanese developers appear to be getting on board the Wii now.

Western developers? Well... EA did recently announce that they were increasing the quality and quantity of their sports franchises on the Wii (NCAA Football and NBA Live will be appearing on a Nintendo console for the first time in 4 years; all games are built from the ground up on the Wii with considerably more features than last year). Other than that, not much.

I still believe the Western Developer problem is twofold: Publishers and Developers. Publishers are still afraid of Nintendo first party and are not entirely sure how to market to this new demographic (when you've been marketing to 10-26 year old males for two decades straight, any shift is hard to make). Western developers have fairly consistently relied on top end hardware to fuel games, as a large portion of them started on PC, and equate better hardware with better games. With recent comments from Rockstar ("fuck casual gaming") and Infinity Ward ("CoD4 wouldn't be a right fit for the Wii"), I think it's fairly clear that a lot of Western devleopers simply do not want to work on the Wii, and will fight to work on the PC, 360, PS3, or some combination thereof.

I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll limit my comments on this matter to this one (relatively) short post. I actually think the situation with Western developers is nowhere near as dire as it initially seems. I won't get into a list, since those are too inelegant, but looking at where Western support was at the Wii's debut, and where it stands now, I would actually argue that the West is stepping up pretty rapidly. 

With the exception of Ubisoft, I can't think of any Western developer who hasn't increased support for the console since launch, and the contrast between what Western companies are doing for the Wii as compared to their output on the Gamecube is stunning. The Wii is getting ports of a lot of major third-party games, which is something I wouldn't have foreseen earlier. It's also getting quite a bit of exclusive games from the West. I'll admit that Japan's hopped on board sooner, but the tea leaves I've examined also tell me the West isn't all that far behind.

And back on topic: does anyone know when this is coming out in the U.S.? I enjoyed the DS version quite a bit, and I'm a Harvest Moon devotee, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Around the Network

This looks really good, far better than I had expected.

Bodhesatva said:

This, Tenchu 4, Mad World, Fatal Frame 4. I'll tentatively state that Japanese developers appear to be getting on board the Wii now.

Western developers? Well... EA did recently announce that they were increasing the quality and quantity of their sports franchises on the Wii (NCAA Football and NBA Live will be appearing on a Nintendo console for the first time in 4 years; all games are built from the ground up on the Wii with considerably more features than last year). Other than that, not much.

I still believe the Western Developer problem is twofold: Publishers and Developers. Publishers are still afraid of Nintendo first party and are not entirely sure how to market to this new demographic (when you've been marketing to 10-26 year old males for two decades straight, any shift is hard to make). Western developers have fairly consistently relied on top end hardware to fuel games, as a large portion of them started on PC, and equate better hardware with better games. With recent comments from Rockstar ("fuck casual gaming") and Infinity Ward ("CoD4 wouldn't be a right fit for the Wii"), I think it's fairly clear that a lot of Western devleopers simply do not want to work on the Wii, and will fight to work on the PC, 360, PS3, or some combination thereof.

You skipped Monster Hunter 3, Fragile, Oboro Muramasa Youtouden, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia 2, and King's Story.

Japanese devs are very quickly moving to Wii-focused development.  Looking at the sales situation in the land of the rising sun that's not exactly surprising.  I mean my god, the Balance Board has outsold the PS3.

This game is looking great. This game can't be released soon enough.

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

Awesome! :D I so want this game!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

I'm liking those screens more and more as i look at them. I want this game.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Rune Factory is coming to the Wii?! Hell yeah, I'm definitely buying this.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

@Soriku: Harvest Moon (and by extent, Rune Factory) always had a real time system.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

I love the graphics for this game because the characters look solid. By solid, I mean that the characters have depth with muscles, blood, and bones. The characters look like they have weight. I just like it. I'm not sure about the combat from those screens, but the environment in the game alone would almost garner a purchase. All they have to do is make hot-looking water with some good background music.......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

takkxyz said:
@Soriku: Harvest Moon (and by extent, Rune Factory) always had a real time system.

So did Animal Crossing, though it was 1:1 and allowed you to mess with it. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.