By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The official "I'm buying Civilization Revolution" Thread of Strategy

Zucas said:
Only if the Wii version comes, which is up for grabs right now. Otherwise would really have no use for it. Might get the 360 version if a Wii version never comes for a cheap price later on.

Its not a game that would show great improvement with a Wiimote, it may actually play better with just a standard controller. You'd be better off with the 360 I would say, just because the Wii doesn't have the CPU power nor the ram so they'd have to cut it down even further and I wonder if at all you'd want to play that game.

I say this because I played CIV 1 with just a keyboard and since then I hardly touch the mouse at all.

Tease.

Around the Network

Well I'll let the creators decide that. Otherwise I would love to see what can be doen with that game with the Wiimote. There's a lot of things peole said the Wiimote couldn't do and well proved wrong so many times over.

Really this is not my genre, which is really why I'm not interested in it at all, but the Wiimote might make it fun. I only might get the 360 version when its really cheap to appease one of my friends who's a junkie with this series.

The more you play this game, the more the gameplay and UI changes grow on you. Except for the performance issues, I'm really liking this demo.

Zucas said:
Well I'll let the creators decide that. Otherwise I would love to see what can be doen with that game with the Wiimote. There's a lot of things peole said the Wiimote couldn't do and well proved wrong so many times over.

Really this is not my genre, which is really why I'm not interested in it at all, but the Wiimote might make it fun. I only might get the 360 version when its really cheap to appease one of my friends who's a junkie with this series.

I can't really see them implementing much more than a mouse interface. But I didn't sleep at all last night so my thinking is pretty shot. Wiimote = Airmouse + some controller funtions (nunchuck) + Motion controls. I can see how the first two could be implemented, but the last im not sure about! :/ To me its strictly mouse and keyboard, but I haven't played it so I dunno.

Tease.

Zucas said:

Zucas,

I wouldn't hold your breath about CivRev on Wii, and the belief that the WiiMote could make CivRev better.

The issue with CivRev (both blessing and curse) is the fact that the game isn't based around the idea of "oh, lets make Civilization, but a UI for Consoles". It's "Let's make a civ game with console-style requirements of fast gameplay". And a Wii version cannot avoid those kinds of things.

I am sure the UI would be fine on CivRev, but the fact is...UI has never made the core game mechanics of Civ any better, or worse. Because of this, I don't think that Wii controls would be very intuitive, and allow for a much better, or more robust version of a console-side Civ game.

Case & Point: Civilization for SNES. Great game (still play it on Emu once in awhile, rather than get my SNES out). Sluggish controls. However, the neat thing was that Civ on SNES allowed you to use the Mario Paint mouse for your controller if you wanted to use it. Guess what? It really didn't help the game play as much as you'd think it could of. The game was built around SNES UI, not SNES + Mouse UI. And it created a problem. In CivRev's case, it's a faster-paced Civ. Something that a WiiMote (in my opinion) is really not going to make any better.

IMO, a Civ game on the Wii would need a real treatment fully developed for the Wii in mind. I think, if Fraxis/Infrogrames ever did that, you'd have one of the best simulation games ever made. But if it's CivRev + tacked on Wii controls...Your just wasting your time waiting for the game on the Wii, if it ever comes. 

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I actually perfer these graphics. That said. I'd rather just get civ 5.

Even then... it hasn't been the same since Civ 2.

Squilliam said:
Zucas said:
Only if the Wii version comes, which is up for grabs right now. Otherwise would really have no use for it. Might get the 360 version if a Wii version never comes for a cheap price later on.

Its not a game that would show great improvement with a Wiimote, it may actually play better with just a standard controller. You'd be better off with the 360 I would say, just because the Wii doesn't have the CPU power nor the ram so they'd have to cut it down even further and I wonder if at all you'd want to play that game.

I say this because I played CIV 1 with just a keyboard and since then I hardly touch the mouse at all.

I completely disagree.  However that's probably because I've played Civs 2-4 almost exculsivly with the mouse.

Civ 1 i played with an SNES pad. 

I tried for about 15 minutes, confusing and not fun.

It's quite excellent. I like it a lot. I've played the demo about 6x in 2 days. Even though you can only choose from 2 civs and your game ends before you can really do anything.

Managing workers is much less tedious (better). Building roads is also excellent.

It is a must buy for me.

Aj_habfan said:
I tried for about 15 minutes, confusing and not fun.

Too bad. Civ is one of the funnest games in the universe. There is nothing like starting an intercontinental war, and duking it out with tactical air, sea, and land battles, ending (or beginning) in the strategic nuclear bombing of every major city of your opponent (or if your caught off guard without SETI, your cities).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.