By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Microsoft Needs a Kick in the Pants (and Why I hope MGS4 does it)

1) If you like MS or wants to buy their next console, that should be the last thing to wish for. A $ 100 price could null all the profits they made the last quarters. It is great for gamers in the short term. For gaming companies it is fatal (unless you have a 65% market share).

2) MS gaming division tasted profit for more than a quarter in a row. Let me tell you: that thing is addicting, just ask Nintendo. They might as well try to earn some instead of crushing the competition. Sony kinda self destructed itself, so MS may change its goal to make money.

3) I am no fan of MS and then quiting would not make me cry. However, I am not the kind to say brilliant move and wish they lose all money they can.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Madyson5 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Madyson5 said:
Heh, MGS4 will do nothing of the sort.

This was perfect thread until...this silly response

Ok, lets think about this for a second if GTA IV couldn't do it why in the world would MGS4. Like I said, nothing of the sort. I have 2 PS3s in my house btw although I did cancel my pre-order for MGS4 and will pick up on the cheap later this year.

If GTA4 couldnt do what?

First of all, GTA4 was released on BOTH consoles, meaning it would affect the sales of both consoles. And, unless your blond, you will have noticed the sales bump for the PS3 was FAR greater than what the 360 got.

Secondly, MGS4 is a PS3 EXCLUSIVE, so the only sales bump (and believe me there will be one) will be attributed solely to the PS3.

Shall i draw it in crayons for you?

What are you even talking about in the US there was no bump if you could even call one according to NPD. The only other hard numbers we have is from Chart Track and that showed that the 360 actually got a bigger bump in the last 5 weeks than the PS3 shall I qoute that for ya? Sorry I do not follow VGC numbers as they are not solid like NPD and Chart Track. Of course any meager bump that PS3 gets for the month should be attirbuted to MGS4, but it will do nothing of the sort in changing the dynamic of MS's plans a for a price cut.

Madyson5 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Madyson5 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Madyson5 said:

Ok, lets think about this for a second if GTA IV couldn't do it why in the world would MGS4. Like I said, nothing of the sort. I have 2 PS3s in my house btw although I did cancel my pre-order for MGS4 and will pick up on the cheap later this year.

If GTA4 couldnt do what?

First of all, GTA4 was released on BOTH consoles, meaning it would affect the sales of both consoles. And, unless your blond, you will have noticed the sales bump for the PS3 was FAR greater than what the 360 got.

Secondly, MGS4 is a PS3 EXCLUSIVE, so the only sales bump (and believe me there will be one) will be attributed solely to the PS3.

What are you even talking about in the US there was no bump if you could even call one according to NPD. The only other hard numbers we have is from Chart Track and that showed that the 360 actually got a bigger bump in the last 5 weeks than the PS3 shall I qoute that for ya? Sorry I do not follow VGC numbers as they are not solid like NPD and Chart Track. Of course any meager bump that PS3 gets for the month should be attirbuted to MGS4, but it will do nothing of the sort in changing the dynamic of MS's plans a for a price cut.

Ah yes, i forgot the US is the only gaming market that matters. How silly of me.

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

GTA IV is multiplat....I don't believe people forget that

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

colonelstubbs said:
Madyson5 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Madyson5 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Madyson5 said:

If GTA4 couldnt do what?

Ah yes, i forgot the US is the only gaming market that matters. How silly of me.

Except ChartTrack isn't the US.

Around the Network
ItsaMii said:
1) If you like MS or wants to buy their next console, that should be the last thing to wish for. A $ 100 price could null all the profits they made the last quarters. It is great for gamers in the short term. For gaming companies it is fatal (unless you have a 65% market share).

2) MS gaming division tasted profit for more than a quarter in a row. Let me tell you: that thing is addicting, just ask Nintendo. They might as well try to earn some instead of crushing the competition. Sony kinda self destructed itself, so MS may change its goal to make money.

3) I am no fan of MS and then quiting would not make me cry. However, I am not the kind to say brilliant move and wish they lose all money they can.

If MS reports a profit for this quarter then it will be a full year a profit for the division. They more than likely will as well considering GTA hit this quarter. Profit is definitely going to be one focus for them, but a price cut sometime this fall is almost a given at this point as well.

Few things I want to add to the thread...

1. 360 always comes with 1 or 2 games bundled when you buy it at big stores like best buy or wal mart. EBgames had free assassins creed with xbox ellite. So they are trying to compete.

2. We don't know what their profit margins are. They had a 80 million dollar profit last quarter on their whole entertainment division. This includes Zune and MS Office for some reason... So the 360 may be cutting it pretty close as is.

3. If microsoft felt that cutting profits was necessary to stay competitive, they would do it(like in Europe). But sony really isn't pushing them to do so in NA. I don't see mgs bundle having too much of an impact. It made me buy the console... but I bought a ps3 for 350 brand new from some dude who said it fell off a truck and I bought mgs4 off amazon for 39.99. I'm a die hard fan of MGS and i dont wanna bother possibly missing out on the game first week by hunting for this bundle...

People that are more casual about gaming may buy the bundle from when they see it in store...but how many of those people know who solid snake is?

DMeisterJ said:
June NPD will be epic.

I think PS3 = 2x 360. If it does beat it by 2:1, expect a 250 arcade, 300 premium, and 400 elite.

If it's anything less than that, don't expect a pricedrop. MS is worried about profit now.

Because of MGS4;..you forget NGII?  Didn't ya?   Ok  NGII is not so big as MGS but will still move some HW :).

Who knows, maybe there are not so much people which are going to buy MGS4 and ps3, just like HW sales during GTA4 release were kinda dissapointing.

But, let`s stay optimistic, and hope that over 500k PS3s will be sold WW during MGS4 launch week.
1 mln. would be EPIC though. =))

p.s. NPD data will come onlt by July, but actually thnx to UK data it will be possible to see how PS3 is doing, at this case UK and USA market are having enough similar sales pattern. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
Who knows, maybe there are not so much people which are going to buy MGS4 and ps3, just like HW sales during GTA4 release were kinda dissapointing.

But, let`s stay optimistic, and hope that over 500k PS3s will be sold WW during MGS4 launch week.
1 mln. would be EPIC though. =))

p.s. NPD data will come onlt by July, but actually thnx to UK data it will be possible to see how PS3 is doing, at this case UK and USA market are having enough similar sales pattern. =)

I would run naked through the street if this happened

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot