By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Apple won't kill the DS

jhonip said:
one word...... Ngage

Hmmm... I guess you could say Nokia is a "multi-product" company... phones and tires (or is that "tyres").

I'm not sure comparing Nokia to Apple is really relevant... 

Around the Network

@ crumas

well nokia tryed to conbine phones with gaming with no results. 

not a fan but a gamer

jhonip said:

@ crumas

well nokia tryed to conbine phones with gaming with no results.

Agreed, but just because Nokia couldn't figure it out doesn't necessarily mean that Apple can't figure it out.  I hope one company's failed attempt doesn't mean an approach is doomed...

crumas2 said:
jhonip said:

@ crumas

well nokia tryed to conbine phones with gaming with no results.

Agreed, but just because Nokia couldn't figure it out doesn't necessarily mean that Apple can't figure it out.  I hope one company's failed attempt doesn't mean an approach is doomed...

in my opinion, iphone is a god portal for internet games, not for big time publishers.

not a fan but a gamer

hunter_alien said:
FishyJoe said:

There has been a story circulating around the wire that Apple is going to kill the DS with it's apps store.

Are the 'experts' ever going to understaind ITSS (it's the software stupid).

Nintendo's dominance has less to do with the hardware than the software. Nintendo is the leading software publisher in the world by a pretty big margin. Apple has essentially zero resources on its own to create games. Apple is 100% dependent on third parties.

It seems the 'experts' are repeating the mistakes of the past and looking at the hardware only. The same mistake was made with the PSP. I think all they understand is looking at technical documents and barely give any recognition to the top software developers in the world.

Is it realy hard to write IMO at the end ?

But anyways , I agree . The Apple store will not take off . Dont get me wrong it will be beter then the new N-gage service but the lack of killer 1st party games wont let them break to the top ... 

What is going on with all this negativity here? First, the "Apple store", by which you propably refer to the AppStore, is a part of iTunes I believe. iTunes has already taken off. Second, the AppStore is not just about games, it's about all applications made for the iPhone OS. You know, document viewers, Flash players, text editors, widgets and whatnots. Games are just one part of it. I have no doubts whatsoever that the AppStore will take off, it is the ONLY legitimate way to get all those applications to your iPhone/iPod Touch.

Whether games in particular will take off on the AppStore is another matter altogether. My belief is that they will take off, to a degree. It is true that Apple has no 1st party game development talent that we know of, and I seriously doubt that they would be hiding such talent in a closet somewhere in Cupertino. They also currently have very little 3rd party game developer support, and I don't expect the big studios to do much more than a couple of minimum risk efforts to test the waters. Perhaps some ports with controls that don't work. Much like has been the case with Wii, really. My belief and hope is that new developers will see the opportunity for creativity and try out new things that are only possible on iPhone. I've said it before, but I want to see the gaming market expand and evolve. DS and Wii are and have been really great in expanding and changing the way we interact with and play games, and the iPhone has similar possibilities. I just hope somebody can make a "killer app" for the iPhone OS and really demonstrate the unique possibilities it has instead of focusing on what it does not have, i.e. buttons.

Around the Network

Apple may be trying to get into the handheld game market. They may be tyring to disrupt Nintendo. They may also be setting up a shield against Sony because of the rumoured cell phone PSP that will be out next year. Whatever Apple may be doing, it looks like a top-down disruption plan so it will play out much differently than the current console warz.

Nintendo will always rule the Handheld market. Sega, N-Gage, PSP have all tried and miserably failed.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

Hand-held games are for kids. Apple makes products for teenagers and up. It probably won't do very well.

JaggedSac said:
Hand-held games are for kids. Apple makes products for teenagers and up. It probably won't do very well.

Not quite. Games like Brain Age are chaging the demographic. It's the DS that's expanding the game market to older people more than anything else.

FishyJoe said:
JaggedSac said:

Not quite. Games like Brain Age are chaging the demographic. It's the DS that's expanding the game market to older people more than anything else.

Say what you will bossman but I haven't seen a single adult in public playing a DS And if you aren't in public, why do you need a hand-held. I guess I could use one while I was on the can.