By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Apple won't kill the DS

wfz said:
colonelstubbs said:
Godot said:
One word: battery.

It's the reason why I have an Ipod, DS and a cell phone. Last thing you want is to miss that important call because you played too much monkeyball. Videos are killing the battery quickly on the Ipod as well so I don't see much use to play video and video games on the same device. If they would give us a device that has 100 hours of battery life playing videos, it would be different.

Tell me about it. Even the goddamn light on the goddamn ipod kills the goddamn battery

Even without the backlight (which is a complete power sucker) my iPod only lasts about 2 hours before dying, and that is JUST playing music. It's an iPod Video that I bought last year. The battery is a POS.

Nintendo has nothing to worry about.

My 16GB iPod Touch tends to last about 15 hours just playing music.  I don't use it for video, so I can't really comment on that.

Around the Network
Me said:
as I said in the other post:

before you even get into how valuable the DS's back catalogue of games and backwards compatibility in new models is I dont think downloadable games is anywhere near mums going into shops and buying their kids a copy on Nintendogs on the spur of the moment or for presents etc just yet.

I remember being in Woolworths buying GTA4 on launch day and a woman in front of me had a pink DS and 3 copies of Nintendogs - Apple cant compete with that.

There's no point in thinking they both have touch screens they're the same market in my opinion.

While I agree with this post, I am one who says the Wii and the PS3/360 are not in the same market, just because they both plug into a TV.

I personally think we are both right :) 

Pk9394 said:
does iphone even have a significant impact on the cell phone market share????

Yes. They own around 20% of the smart phone market.

Actually, I could see Apple as a possible source of disruption for Nintendo. Nintendo will survive because they can keep a profitable business model even while their competition is doing better. But, we all remember the SNES to the PS1 market leader transition.

Business relationships with the manufacturer (MS, Ninty, Sony) is just as important as the sales figures. MS and Sony (more now after KK left) are much more willing to give an arm and a leg to third parties to market their games than Nintendo. Nintendo's first party runs the show while their third parties are more or less on their own with marketing.

I think Apple knows the industry very well and could really tap into the third parties to put more effort into casual titles.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

I've given this thing a bit more thought, and I still have to say that there's no way Apple can touch the DS. The iPhone can't disrupt the DS, although the iPhone is selling really well and will propably sell even better with the new version and all the new countries it's expanding to. But the price point is just too high for disrupting the DS.

BUT, and this dawned on me, Apple can disrupt the portable application distribution market. I know it's not as easy to think about it from this angle, but the way software is distributed is a market like any other, and the current "product" being offered for the mainstream has existed for a long time: the distribution of a physical copy containing the software. I know, digital distribution of software has existed for a long time, so why would this be any different? Well, despite the existance of digital distribution, it is a market that is still in its infancy, there's only a handful of services that exist and even then, those services supplement the traditional distribution model. And, in all of those cases, the manufacturers have to be very wary of maintaining the existing distribution channel, they can't afford to piss them of via bypassing them online. Now, enter Apple with their AppStore, which is the ONLY legitimate channel to get software for your device, and you can see the difference right there. Taking a look at the situation from the Christensens disruption strategy point of view, I got the following shield and sword.

The asymmetrical shield of motivation: Nintendo and Sony get their revenue (for DS and PSP) from the traditional channel, and they can't afford to disrupt it or they will risk losing much more than they have to gain. Apple, on the other hand, has no other line of distribution for the software, so it has to make digital distribution work. Apple has nothing to lose and everything to win.

The sword of asymmetrical skills: I don't believe this to be as important, but Apple has a huge advantage with iTunes. They already have the infrastructure in place, and they have the brand recognition in digital distribution that the others can only dream about. Also, since Apple has no history in the gaming market, it can handle the publishing process differently, which may lead to a different business model emerging.

There are in all likelyhood a ton of things I've missed, so I welcome all discussion. Do you think Apple could disrupt the distribution channel of portable device applications? One huge block in their way is of course the fact that AppStore works only for Apple devices, but could it still become the dominant business model that other's have to respond to?

Around the Network

I hope they do this. Because by god I hope for a "Hello, I'm a DS! Hello, I'm an Iphone - what can you do?" commercial so we can pick it apart.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

famousringo said:
MANUELF said:
iphone will suffer like the PSP good hardware sales, bad software sales.
Luckily, Apple isn't relying on software sales to make money with their iPhone.

I don't expect the iPhone to have a big impact on the handheld gaming market. All Apple's little foray into gaming requires to be a success is to recover the costs of offering games and sell a few more hardware units than it would if it wasn't a gaming device.

I doubt Apple has big plans to crack into the gaming market. They're just trying to add value to their portable device in a natural way. If Apple can carve out a tiny niche in handheld gaming, it may try to pry that crack open wider in the future, though.
QFLikelihood

This is the most plausible scenario for Apple going into gaming; as a deliberate niche. And if they're successful they could last as long as the Neo-Geo.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

crumas2 said:

Still, I tend not to vote against a talented, ruthless underdog that's defied analyst predictions over the past few years.

And how, exactly, has Apple "defied analyst predictions over the past few years"? Sure, they have with their computer lines, but that's because they offer a good, high-quality second choice in the near-monopolistic personal computer market. All of their new products as of late, however - Apple TV, I'm looking at you - have not seen anywhere near the success of the iPod. 

Seriously, every time Apple comes out with a new non-personal-computer product, everyone states that it'll be "the next iPod" in terms of success. However, Apple still have to prove that they can make the "next iPod" - or, in other words, that the iPod phenomenon wasn't just an innovative but overzealous company in the right place at the right time.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
crumas2 said:

Still, I tend not to vote against a talented, ruthless underdog that's defied analyst predictions over the past few years.

And how, exactly, has Apple "defied analyst predictions over the past few years"? Sure, they have with their computer lines, but that's because they offer a good, high-quality second choice in the near-monopolistic personal computer market. All of their new products as of late, however - Apple TV, I'm looking at you - have not seen anywhere near the success of the iPod.

Seriously, every time Apple comes out with a new non-personal-computer product, everyone states that it'll be "the next iPod" in terms of success. However, Apple still have to prove that they can make the "next iPod" - or, in other words, that the iPod phenomenon wasn't just an innovative but overzealous company in the right place at the right time.

Apple already has proven they can "make the next iPod". Analysts have predicted several times that the iPod would begin to fade for a variety of reasons such as iTunes Store competition, the Zune, the inability to use other online stores with DRM, etc. Apple keeps coming out with newer iPods that break the mold, such as the Touch. If the current iPods were just like the older iPod with larger drives, then competitors would start to eat Apple's lunch, but Apple refuses to become a stationary target. The same thing happened with the original iMac. "Uh, oh... demand for the candy flavored, gumdrop Mac is falling... Apple is in trouble." Nope... they came out with the iMac desk lamp, er, computer, and then the iMac all-in-the-screen computer. Mr. Jobs seems to have learned a thing or two about how to outguess his competition.

Like I said, I'm not trying to convince anyone that Apple *will* become a force in the handheld gaming market... just that I think it unwise to say they can't possibly compete in that space. And I don't believe they will become relevant in that market with any of their current devices... it would probably be a derivative/enhanced version of an iPod that would be compelling.

And yes, the AppleTV is a counter-example of their prowess... I mentioned that in my original post.

EDIT: I forgot to mention... I can think of a recent product that has had great success... the iPhone.  They already have 20% of their target market (smart phones) and they've never made a phone before.

Me said:
as I said in the other post:

before you even get into how valuable the DS's back catalogue of games and backwards compatibility in new models is I dont think downloadable games is anywhere near mums going into shops and buying their kids a copy on Nintendogs on the spur of the moment or for presents etc just yet.

I remember being in Woolworths buying GTA4 on launch day and a woman in front of me had a pink DS and 3 copies of Nintendogs - Apple cant compete with that.

There's no point in thinking they both have touch screens they're the same market in my opinion.

Wise words.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046