By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - now PS3 is picking up speed how will MS resond?

I personally feel with the upcoming launch of the 80GB MGS4 and jems like LBP up and coming I think the PS3 is gonna move into the next gear from MGS4 launch.  There's no way that MS will just sit back and I think as they seemed to try the PS2's model in getting out before the competition this gen and establishing a name for yourself in software side I can see them launching a new redesigned sleeker slimline model to coincide for GOW2 release.

Can you see this happening, do you think they'll cut prices in America or do you think they'll continue to be okay?

Around the Network

You are not considering great games will be coming for 360 as well.

GTA4 is a 360 win in NA even without extra content coming soon...
The best Alone in the dark experience is 360/pc exclusive till winter.
Unreal 3 is coming out and it will do as well if not better than on ps3.
L4D will be huge for xbox and is exclusive.

Then comes holiday lineup which looks great for both.

So PS3 will have its hands full even without a 360 price cut in NA.

when 360 has a price cut in America , i am very possitive that 360 will be about 30 - 40 thousands more units from PS3...

X360 has a ton of games comming out for it later this year MGS4 is not going to hurt them that bad i mean 360 outsold Ps3 in the Us by about 20k and its almost the MGS4 lanuch and the 360 has nothing comming out atm lol

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

eliasg said:
when 360 has a price cut in America , i am very possitive that 360 will be about 30 - 40 thousands more units from PS3...

I think a pricecut will make huge waves in the NA market. Remember that NA has seen one measly $50 price cut in 32 months for the system. That's absurd. If MS is able to drop the Pro to $279 in September, NA sales will spark for quite some time. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

^@ disolitude 360 sales are being matched by PS3 sales on its only turf. The 360 is older in the market, games library bigger, price is lower. The poster is talking about momentum here, it's not only about big titles clashing against big titles, it's also about moving hardware and I think after 3 years in the market a single $50 cut is embarrasing and if they can't respond to the $500 80GB MGS4 SKU with something more than "hey, we have great games coming too!" they're gonna hit a wall real soon.

They may cut the price of the current range and introduce a new design into the range around the same time - I can just see maybe a 10GB smaller slimmer model to widen their appeal.

I think that MS will be able to cut prices soon, as their entertainment division is finally recording a small profit.

Magnific0 said:
^@ disolitude 360 sales are being matched by PS3 sales on its only turf. The 360 is older in the market, games library bigger, price is lower. The poster is talking about momentum here, it's not only about big titles clashing against big titles, it's also about moving hardware and I think after 3 years in the market a single $50 cut is embarrasing and if they can't respond to the $500 80GB MGS4 SKU with something more than "hey, we have great games coming too!" they're gonna hit a wall real soon.

I fail to see any momentum by ps3. Yes I bought one for MGS4...but once I finish that I have to wait for Resistance 2 to play something else that appeals to me. Infact I have to squeeze MGS4  between ninja gaiden 2 and Alone in the dark on the 360...

PS3 is newer on the market and there is less people that have the system, so that alone does give ps3 the edge. If MS cuts prices, I think sony may follow...but they both know that Nintendo is raping them in console profits so I think they are trying to save some face by atleast posting a profit.

It`s pointless,
GC started at 199$ when PS2 still costed 299$.
It`s all about games.

x360 had a pricecut in Europe, after that it went from from 40-45k to 70-75k.
PS3 just had GT5P release, and MULTIPLATFORM GTA4 release, and it went from 80k to 100k per week. =)
Now with MGS4 release it will go to 120k or maybe higher. =)

In usa, after 80GB model on the market, there also should be some weekly increase, maybe by 30-40k.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far