By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony- Sub-$100 (PC) Blu-ray drives by winter

Representatives from SonyNEC Optiarc, the optical drive arm of the joint Sony and NEC collaboration, have revealed that they predict prices of Blu-ray combo drives - which can read Blu-ray discs and write DVD and CD - will reach sub-$100 prices by this upcoming holiday season. Additionally, it is expected that similar notebook drives would reach the $150 level by that same time.

They also predict that Blu-ray burners - those drives that can write to Blu-ray discs - will go for between $150-200. These lower prices will make the drives more accessible to computer manufacturers as consumer demand for Blu-ray drives steadily increases. Additionally, those looking to add some Blu to their existing systems will have a less expensive option to do so.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1361

----------------------------

A quick note from Dallas, I think that this will help BD go mainstream and I've been wanting a cheap BD drive on my computer for a while.  Would anybody want to get a BD drive or burner at these prices?

Around the Network

That's interesting. From this I would think standalone players would be around $200. i.e. about half that of the PS3. With the HDD and other pieces in the PS3 it still won't see a price cut this year though, at least not greater than $50.

Good, but I want a burner and they're bound to remain expensive for quite some time. DVD burners were ludicrously priced for a few years after they released.