By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Getaway 3 and Eight Days are cancelled

MrMarc said:
Too bad both Getaway games were utter rubbish.

Don't get defensive you know I'm right!

I liked the first one quite a bit actually.  Never played the second.  I think a next gen 3rd one set in a quas-real london like GTA could have been a heck of a lot of fun.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network

I'm a bit surprised by all the dismay. Yeah, I agree that the premise behind both of these games had a lot of potential, but most games start out with a good premise. What sets the good games apart from the bad games is how well the developer achieved their goal. The only thing we were told about these games over the last 2-3 years was their premises. We never actually got to see any progress toward the goal, which most likely means that little headway was made. It also probably means that the studios behind the games probably weren't given a very substantial budget anyway. Basically what I'm saying is that these games were not far along at all and we really have no idea whether they would have been able to live up to the original goal. Therefore, this isn't a big loss.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

I also feel as though Sony has had far too many first parties without enough quality. A lot of big Sony fans love to point out how Sony is the largest First Party publisher in the world, but the problem is that they have such a low rate of quality compared to MS and Nintendo.

That's not to say they don't make a lot of good games, it's just that the ratio of good games to bad games is not nearly as good as the other two.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Shameless said:
akuma587 said:
I could care less about the Getaway, but it definitely sucks that Eight Days got cancelled/put on hold. Oh well, this is what happens in the gaming industry, so we really can't complain too much. I've been happy with their first party offerings so far.

You could care less? What's that supposed to mean, you do care?

Yeah that phrase has always been kind of tricky.  It should be "I couldn't care less about The Getaway."

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I am indifferent about The Getaway decision, but Eight Days did look promising.

Around the Network
Fernando said:

Well... Sony fanboys can remove two more titles in their "just wait until...." lists.

=p

Aw, c'mon. Just because you find a nest of angry wasps doesn't mean you have to start poking it with a stick.

This is probably a smart move on Sony's part. They need to get the Playstation 3 into the black, and cutting costs on game development by delaying some less-important titles is one way they can do that. They've already done about as much as they can with the hardware itself.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

What the hell eight days looked sooo good.

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX

Maybe they should change the title to Eight Years? ;)

seriously though I was pretty interested in Eight Days, but I've never cared much about the Getaway games...

Well, at least they canceled these instead of projects from the more reputable internal studios (Sucker Punch's Infamous and whatever Zipper is working on). It's been long speculated that many staff members of Sony London have been helping out on Killzone 2 as well.

According to some guys on NeoGAF, Sony London (and Liverpool?) is working on some super secretive FPS that will apparently surpass KZ2 in visuals.

Sin said:

Last I heard about this from someone who has already seen it is that its an FPS rivaling and maybe even surpassing Killzone 2, graphically.

Edit: Hmm, not sure about my FPS claim, I'll verify and let you guys know.

Xun said:

Honestly, I know nothing aside from the fact that they are working on a “super” secretive FPS. I don’t know anything aside from that, despite trying my hardest to get the information to you guys. Now what surprises me is that last time I got in contact with my source they said they put the Getaway on hold and that Eight Days was still in production.

Very odd indeed.

And recall that Sin was the poster that broke the Killzone 2 delay to 2009.

My thoughts on this?  Too many shooters. :|