By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony intros red PS2 and metallic blue PSP for Japan

Proving once again that old gadgets die hard (some, at least) Sony Japan is introducing fancy new paint jobs for two of its oldest -- and most successful -- products. Come July 3rd, the venerable PS2 will be hitting shelves with a new job, a new outlook on life, and a "red cinnabar" paint job. The refreshed system will run you about ¥16,000 (or around $153). Meanwhile, that metallic blue PSP we've seen is making its way to Japanese gamers on July 17th, sans Madden '09, for ¥23,800 (or $227) for the Value Pack, or ¥29,800 (or $284) for the a decked out bundle including a 1seg tuner, 1GB Memory Stick, and handsome matching carrying case.

Man i wish these would come to EU or even NA!!! :(

Mil. Sellers:

Wii:      25 titles       101.4 mil total    avg 4 mil per title

PS3:     14 titles      28.6 mil total    avg ~2 mil per title

360:     41 titles      89.8 mil total   avg  >2 mil per title

Around the Network

The red one hurts my eyes, but the blue PSP is great. Personally, I'd spend a few bucks on a skin in favour of spending 150 on a new PS2 to replace my current one.

Examples of skins: http://www.skinit.com/skins/

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Very nice. I really like the look of that blue PSP.

Ugh I don't like both. They have a very... "Plastic toy" look.

sexy

Around the Network

That blue PSP (slim) looks a lot like the old blue PSP (original), just that it's the slim model.

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/silver_and_blue_psps_coming_soon.php

That's the old blue PSP (original). Even the original looks pretty nice. I bought one of the original blue psp's for my gf's bday last year.

I really like the look of the Red PS2, but my black slimline PS2 from 2004 is still chugging along fine. No need to get another PS2 at the moment.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Yuck....they look hideous

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

MaximusOptimus said:

Proving once again that old gadgets die hard (some, at least) Sony Japan is introducing fancy new paint jobs for two of its oldest -- and most successful -- products. Come July 3rd, the venerable PS2 will be hitting shelves with a new job, a new outlook on life, and a "red cinnabar" paint job. The refreshed system will run you about ¥16,000 (or around $153). Meanwhile, that metallic blue PSP we've seen is making its way to Japanese gamers on July 17th, sans Madden '09, for ¥23,800 (or $227) for the Value Pack, or ¥29,800 (or $284) for the a decked out bundle including a 1seg tuner, 1GB Memory Stick, and handsome matching carrying case.

Interestingly enough, the PSP is one of Sony's least successful consoles.

Anyway, colours look alright, but because they are images that would most likely have been touched up, I assume they will look like cheap plastic in real life (like the inside of DS's other than white and black).

CAL4M1TY said:
MaximusOptimus said:

Interestingly enough, the PSP is one of Sony's least successful consoles.

Anyway, colours look alright, but because they are images that would most likely have been touched up, I assume they will look like cheap plastic in real life (like the inside of DS's other than white and black).

Score one for the unimformed.  The PSP is sony's second handheld console and its most successful handheld much like the PS2 is the most successful home console.  Honest mistake though, the pocketstation sucked ass and almost nobody remembers it. Here is a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PocketStation

Mil. Sellers:

Wii:      25 titles       101.4 mil total    avg 4 mil per title

PS3:     14 titles      28.6 mil total    avg ~2 mil per title

360:     41 titles      89.8 mil total   avg  >2 mil per title

lolita said:
Ugh I don't like both. They have a very... "Plastic toy" look.

I agree, I thought the red PSP looked incredible, but the blue doesn't suit IMO, and the red PS2 is odd... perhaps because it is a very pure matt red.