By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - INSOMNIAC is opening second studio and expanding the team

So perhaps more than 1 game a year?

Around the Network

This is excellent news. It seems to me that the current studio will continue bouncing back and forth between R&C and Resistance (two pre-production teams with one main development team switching between the two franchises as needed), while the new studio will focus on yet another new IP(s).

Given the size of the new team, a PSN title seems likely, but a full game is possible. It won't be out before 2010, of course. Actually, given the size of the new team, it could be that they'll do pre-production on a new IP for a year, while hiring new people throughout that time to prepare for full production the following year, sticking with Insomniac's 2-year ps3 production cycle.

DMeisterJ said:
Insomniac is like second and a half party.

Sony doesn't own them, and Insomniac doesn't want to be owned by them, but they make PS3 games exclusive, so it's really hard to figure things out.

They're like Ready at Dawn (Daxter, GoW: CoO), they also made Okami Wii. Kinda second party, kinda not. Show sony tons of support, but don't really have to.

That implies that Insomniac has games for a company other than Sony. Every game they've made has been published by Sony since the PS1 days, and both their Ratchet and Resistance IPs are owned by Sony.  That's a bit different than Ready at Dawn.

Or did you mean first and a half party?  2nd party means that a game made by an independent studio is published by the console manufacturer.  Insomniac is as 2nd party as you can get, but Sony treats them like 1st party when it comes to things like dev kits and their relationship with other internal studios.

Yeah, could mean 3 games every 2 years. I wonder how long the Resistance franchise will go, though...and Ratchet for that matter. It's been 6 years of Ratchet coming out almost every year. Whatever they do, I look forward to playing it.

nice to see a great studio expanding. there probably getting ready to go multi-platform, im pretty sure they stated in an interview that it would happen eventually

Around the Network
windbane said:
Yeah, could mean 3 games every 2 years. I wonder how long the Resistance franchise will go, though...and Ratchet for that matter. It's been 6 years of Ratchet coming out almost every year. Whatever they do, I look forward to playing it.

That's a good guess. I'd say the Burbank studio will continue with their pace of 1 game a year and the other will put out one every other year.

What could this mean?

They can't make a Ratchet and Clank, or a Resistance title much more often than they do.

are they going to make a new series?

LongLiveTheBeatles said:
windbane said:

That's a good guess. I'd say the Burbank studio will continue with their pace of 1 game a year and the other will put out one every other year.

I'm guessing they'll start with one full game per year in the Fall along with one full game every other year in Spring, and gradually nurture the second studio until they're capable of producing a title a year, resulting in yearly Fall and Spring releases.

Either that or it will be one full game a year along with one PSN title a year right off the bat.

im happy for them cuz they deserve it

Jeeze, they are already so prolific. I wonder what this could mean, and I wonder how much of the current team will move into the new studio.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson