By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - INSOMNIAC is opening second studio and expanding the team

it's nice to see that they are expanding,,,they are brilliant video game makers.(and fast i might add)

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/insomniac-to-open-studio-in-north-carolina/?biz=1

could this mean more games?(even faster than 1 brilliant game a year?) 

Around the Network

is Insomniac Sony's first party? or second party?

Great developer, good for you.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

cool, now give me more ratchet and clank

Wow, my favourite devs are expanding!!! Hurray , Hurray! And I hope they will bring more games!

kingofwale said:
is Insomniac Sony's first party? or second party?

Great developer, good for you.

I thought they were 3d Party;..

Around the Network

they are third -second kinda deal,,,

they are absolutely independent of sony,,,but sony treats them like first party,,,,meaning Sony makes other first party devs(like naughty dog)to share technology with them.

Insomniac is like second and a half party.

Sony doesn't own them, and Insomniac doesn't want to be owned by them, but they make PS3 games exclusive, so it's really hard to figure things out.

They're like Ready at Dawn (Daxter, GoW: CoO), they also made Okami Wii. Kinda second party, kinda not. Show sony tons of support, but don't really have to.

@dmeisterj,,they were always PS exclusives not just PS3,,,from spyro on PS1 to ratchet on PS2,,,they are very close to sony.they benefit like first party from Sony but have independence like 3rd party

Hrmm, They're going to Raleigh. That where I live and I'm 5 minutes away from Epic game studios.

As for what Insomiac is... they are a 2nd party company. They aren't owned by Sony, but Sony is highly invested in the company and has majority rights over Insomiac's IP. Insomiac and Sony probably has deals in place for exclusive hardware development for a long time.

Anyways, Raleigh NC is great for techonology companies. There are several devs in the triangle area already (Epic as the biggest), it also helps that IBM has several of their campuses near the area (cell research?).

Soriku said:
SpartanFX said:
@dmeisterj,,they were always PS exclusives not just PS3,,,from spyro on PS1 to ratchet on PS2,,,they are very close to sony.they benefit like first party from Sony but have independence like 1st party

RIP Spyro. That used to be one of my favorite childhood games (never beat it though lol) yet they had to go sell the IP :(

*sigh*

I saw some comments of Spyro fans who said the last Spyro game was not bad and the new one doesn't look that bad too.