By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So is this the ime for Ninty to stockpile Wii to counter MGS4?

MGS4 isn't as big as GTA4. Nintendo has no need to stockpile.

It's vastly more likely they'll stockpile for the next WiiFit shipment, if anything.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network
tabsina said:
DMeisterJ said:
I don't think so.

Wouldn't be that smart to "stockpile" Wii's when you just released a huge game in North America thirteen days ago.

I think it was moreso that they pushed out so many Wii's last week for Wii Fit's first week, they need to get back into the swing of things. It's happened with every big release.

This thread is grasping at straws...

you do realise wii is consistently in first place regardless, yeh?

Exactly

Nintendo Wii is consistently the first place console every week in America.  Which goes to prove my point.  Why stockpile when you will most likely get first place?  People buying MGS4 are going to buy it, whether or not a Wii is sitting right next to it or not.  MGS has a hardcore following, so whether or not Wii's are in stock will not hurt MGS4 sales.  They could be trying to add insult to injury and outsell PS3 by a large margin that week, but Nintendo isn't focused on tearing down it's opponents, they're making too much money to care.

DMeisterJ said:
tabsina said:
DMeisterJ said:
I don't think so.

Wouldn't be that smart to "stockpile" Wii's when you just released a huge game in North America thirteen days ago.

I think it was moreso that they pushed out so many Wii's last week for Wii Fit's first week, they need to get back into the swing of things. It's happened with every big release.

Exactly

Nintendo Wii is consistently the first place console every week in America.  Which goes to prove my point.  Why stockpile when you will most likely get first place?  People buying MGS4 are going to buy it, whether or not a Wii is sitting right next to it or not.  MGS has a hardcore following, so whether or not Wii's are in stock will not hurt MGS4 sales.  They could be trying to add insult to injury and outsell PS3 by a large margin that week, but Nintendo isn't focused on tearing down it's opponents, they're making too much money to care.

i'm not so sure - I think they would see it as good press to win April, May and June in sales when going up against GTA4, MGS4 and Haze - after all why else would they have pushed Wii Fit, MKWii and Wii Ware all out in this quarter if it wasn't to ensure the Wii got plenty of press in this testing time?

I wouldn't be at all suprised if a huge shipments of Wii's and plenty of Wii Fits hit the US sometime around the launch of MGS4.  Just enough to make sure it's still on top, after all I personally see the 80GB MGS4 bundle pack as a bigger system seller than GTA4 personally. 

Metal gear is not even that big of a game i dont get why everyone is making such a big deal about it i mean the last one solf 3.75 million or something witch is good but is not a system seller

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Me said:
DMeisterJ said:
tabsina said:
DMeisterJ said:
I don't think so.

Exactly

i'm not so sure - I think they would see it as good press to win April, May and June in sales when going up against GTA4, MGS4 and Haze - after all why else would they have pushed Wii Fit, MKWii and Wii Ware all out in this month if it wasn't to ensure the Wii got plenty of press in this testing time?

I wouldn't be at all suprised if a huge shipments of Wii's and plenty of Wii Fits hit the US sometime around the launch of MGS4.  Just enough to make sure it's still on top, after all I personally see the 80GB MGS4 bundle pack as a bigger system seller than GTA4 personally. 

I guess they could do that, but we'll have to wait and see.

But Nintendo doens't need to worry about good press, they can just let their financials do all the talking.

Around the Network

MGS4 isn't on it's own but marry this with recent release of GTA4, 80GB PS3 and other info like release date for LBP - the PS3 is looking like an attractive package all of a sudden.

There just may have been a lot of savvy people waiting for the 80GB that may have been sold on the PS3 when GTA4 got released.  I reckon the PS3 will do just fine when MGS4 gets released.

With a relatively small userbase, sales of MGS4 would experience a great first week, followed by fast diminishing second weeks. It's not like the "hardcore concentration" is much greater for the PS3 than the PS2.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

WOW only 130,000+ units that sold so far, this is very low even for Ninty it should be atleast over 200,000 units especially the supposed 2.5 million supplies every month. if this isnt stockpiling I dont what this is.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yeah I can see a 500k + WW sales next week for Wii with another shipment of Wii Fits.

Sorry, I should say every month. I already edited my last post...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg