By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sixaxis "not sensitive enough" for aiming in Resident Evil 5

bobobologna said:
NJ5 said:
Dogs Rule said:
It certainly is sensitive when it comes to tilting. Example: When on the opening platform in Locoroco Cocoreccho, you can see just how little movement it takes for the platform to mimic your tilting motion exactly.

But to use it for pointing, every slight error would accumulate since there's no frame of reference to reset to. After a few minutes (or even earlier), the pointer would be so off that you would have to point at the floor or at the ceiling.

Accelerometers are good enough for relative movement, but not for absolute positioning. For that you need a fixed frame of reference such as the sensor bar on the Wii, or a God-like accelerometer which doesn't exist.

Submarines use highly sensitive gyroscopes for inertial navigation under water. Of course, I doubt they fit something as sensitive as that in the SIXAXIS.

If that works, maybe Eurogamer will propose it to Capcom :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

What do you mean, "not quite sensitive enough"? The problem has nothing to do with sensitivity, and everything to do with the fact that the SIXAXIS has no way to determine its position in space.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

"Submarines use highly sensitive gyroscopes for inertial navigation under water. Of course, I doubt they fit something as sensitive as that in the SIXAXIS."

The gyroscopes in submarines are only used to determine orientation, just as they are in the SIXAXIS. They use other methods for actual navigation, all of which depend on determining their position in space. Sonar is one example that comes readily to mind.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.

"It certainly is sensitive when it comes to tilting. Example: When on the opening platform in Locoroco Cocoreccho, you can see just how little movement it takes for the platform to mimic your tilting motion exactly."

That's not enough, though. I could hold a SIXAXIS, or Wiimote, for example, in a single specific orientation and yet still point it anywhere on the screen I wanted to, simply by shifting the controller's position instead of its orientation. To nail down a specific point on the screen, you need both orientation AND position, and the SIXAXIS cannot do the latter.

I picked up RE4:Wii last weekend and was stunned at how great the controls were. I hope MS releases their WiiMote ripoff by the time RE5 comes out, I can't imagine playing it any other way now.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

I don't think this game will bomb, Capcom won't let it happen - but good to know they 'understand' the ps3.

My question is how retarded is that reporter for asking such a stupid question, since when does the sixaxis have an IR reader?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Well yeah, nothing is sensitive enough except for a mouse. A mouse is even more accurate than the Wii Remote because its more steady and you can turn all the way around a lot faster.

PC Gamer

the sixasis is good, but its no wiimote.

its times like these that i wish that stupid people could just be slapped upside the head (looks back at post history)....never mind

Who in the world would want to aim a crosshair using the sixaxis? Measuring trajectory of a grenade is one thing, but aiming a gun with sixaxis motion would be really stupid.