By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sixaxis "not sensitive enough" for aiming in Resident Evil 5

Jun Takeuchi, the chief producer for the upcoming Resident Evil 5, has said that the PS3 won't be getting "a PS3 control system similar to Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition." Takuchi said the SixAxis is "not quite sensitive enough for that".

Sixaxis "not sensitive enough" for FPS aiming - Resi 5 producer
News by http://www.eurogamer.net/archive.php?author=31">Tom Bramwell

Today 13:00

Jun Takeuchi has said that the PlayStation 3's Sixaxis controller wasn't a viable option for aiming in Resident Evil 5.

Responding to an inquiry from a European journalist, who raised the prospect of a PS3 control system similar to Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Takeuchi said Sony's much-maligned motion-sensing controller "was not quite sensitive enough for that".

Takeuchi expressed his fondness for the PS3, though, calling it "a great system". "We're really pleased with it, and certainly as with other developers we did have problems getting to grips with it at first, but now understanding how it works it allows us to do a lot of things we couldn't do before," he said through a translator at Capcom's Captivate 08 event in Las Vegas.

Takeuchi demonstrated the game using a playable build on Xbox 360. We asked why we weren't being shown the PS3 build, which he told us was "proceeding smoothly". Apparently it's because Capcom had specifically asked for a console build of the game for the show, and the easiest thing for the team to do was dump current content from the development platform, PC, onto a debug 360.

Resident Evil 5 is due out on PS3 and 360 before the end of March 2009. Check out our http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=144133">Captivate 08 Resident Evil 5 preview for more on the content we were shown.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=144150 

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

Around the Network

RE4 controls on the Wii are some of the best I've ever played, it is the ultimate version for me...

Seriously? Somebody actually asked? Obviously the sixaxis motion sensors won't work nearly as well as the IR camera in the wiimote.

Still kinda looking forward to this on PS3 since it seems pretty obvious at this point a Wii port with Wii controls is out of the question.

Sensitive? I did even know that you could point with sixaxis :D

Wow, totally didn't expect that.

*slaps self*

Around the Network

Jun was hoping he could insult the PS3 into spontaneously growing an IR camera, but it wasn't sensitive enough, so it just shrugged him off.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

It certainly is sensitive when it comes to tilting. Example: When on the opening platform in Locoroco Cocoreccho, you can see just how little movement it takes for the platform to mimic your tilting motion exactly.

Dogs Rule said:
It certainly is sensitive when it comes to tilting. Example: When on the opening platform in Locoroco Cocoreccho, you can see just how little movement it takes for the platform to mimic your tilting motion exactly.

But to use it for pointing, every slight error would accumulate since there's no frame of reference to reset to. After a few minutes (or even earlier), the pointer would be so off that you would have to point at the floor or at the ceiling.

Accelerometers are good enough for relative movement, but not for absolute positioning. For that you need a fixed frame of reference such as the sensor bar on the Wii, or a God-like accelerometer which doesn't exist.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Considering the six axis motion sensor is pretty effing poor (Lair anyone....anyone...?) this doesnt come as a surprise

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

I'm waiting for someone to say..."Wii port confirmed!"