By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's motion controller was patented in December 2004

if you remember my other post about the controleer ,,it was about poeple getting invited to try the motion controller for the PS3 ,,,their describtion fits with the patented one.

here is the article:

http://cruizd.blogspot.com/2008/06/new-rumoured-sony-controller-not-so-new.html

Around the Network

well at least this will stop Sony fans saying the X-mote controller will be garbage lol

OT: it's no surprise, Sony and Microsoft probably thought about these ideas years ago even.

Yeah, now that there’s a market for it, or should I say, Nintendo has a market for it, every one is jumping onto the band wagon, but whether ms and Sony can make something as versatile as Nintendo is another question. We've all seen that the ps3 motion control is almost pointless in the grand scheme of 'motion controlling' and a Nintendo rip off without Nintendo’s blue ocean strategy may very well fail just as past motion controlling has

If at first you don't succeed, you fail

If you read the details of the original patent, it's only vaguely similar to the Wii Remote. The device they had in mind was one where a web camera sat atop the TV, tracking specific light patterns given off by the "wand" device. Which is basically the opposite of how the Wii Remote works (a "sensor bar" of LEDs and an IR camera eye in the controller itself). You may call this semantics, but it's not even remotely so. There are numerous functions you can perform with a camera-in-controller which you cannot with a controller-as-light-source (most notably, you have no tracking issues  due to confusion of light source when dealing with multiple controllers when the camera is in the controller).

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

[[; will still say it copies the wii just like the sixaxis even hough it came before the wii

Around the Network
ToastyJaguar said:
well at least this will stop Sony fans saying the X-mote controller will be garbage lol

OT: it's no surprise, Sony and Microsoft probably thought about these ideas years ago even.

The X-Mote will be garbage

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

The guy in the drawing looks vaguely like a Mii, therefore I think it's fair to say Nintendo completely ripped off Sony here.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

all developers seem to do this tho i mean Microsoft had a PC motion controller patented a long time ago but never did anything the patent thing doesn't really work sometimes or they think its stupid and put it so no one else can make one etc etc.

Incert Witty Comment on how i'm a fanboy of all systems including PC here.

he looks like some stretched alien with no fingers, maybe even one of thoes guys from star treck, you know that guy with pointy ears, any way, by the looks of that illustration it seems as though its an alien device of some sort, it might have been part of sonys plans for sony domination

on second thoughts, sony could have just been drawing a picture of an alien with a smoke in his hand while looking at the tv and decided to patant it... by making up some mumble about motion eye toy control ashljkas stuff and every one fell for it, and the sony artists are laughing at you!