By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what is everyone's top 10 rpg's of all time?

10. Grandia II
9. Pokemon Red/Blue
8. Final Fantasy X
7. Knights Of The Old Republic
6. Chrono Trigger
5. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
4. Final Fantasy V
3. Tales of Symphonia
2. EarthBound
1. Grandia

Currently Playing: - Pokemon Sun - 3DS

3DS Friend Code: - 4339-3849-0940

Around the Network

1. Saga Frontier 2 (Wil Knights story was really good, Rebecca Knights was amazing how that played into Gustave's story and I still haven't figured out if Gustaf really is related to Gustave. Final boss was a pain in the rare, or if you do Gustaf's ending the final war scenario was intense.)

2. Final Fantasy Tactics - One of the better stories, very strong narrative and amazing detail... these were the days I remember Square Enix for - when playing a game brought more intensity and immersion than reading a book.

3. The World Ends With You - The game has so much to it, I just wish it didn't end, but the ending was worth it, certain parts just found themselves fiting into the plot like puzzle pieces.

4. Star Ocean 2 Silver star Story - The game was just expansive, it has everything any old school rpg fan wanted, and a cool battle system to boot.

5. Tales of Destiny 2 - Quite possibly better than Star Ocean 2, but only because I remember less of this game is the reason why it's number 5, the character development suddenly became very good by the 2nd part of the game.

That's my top 5, anything else may be askew.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

That's a tough one, oddly not because I've played many but because I haven't played enough. Plus I'm not sure what to classify as an RPG. But I'll go for the obvious ones.

1. Tales of Symphonia
2. The World Ends With You
3. Final Fantasy III DS
4. Final Fantasy V
5. Final Fantasy VI
6. Paper Mario
7. Tales of Phantasia

I've just finished TWEWY today and would like to put it on the top, but ToS was my first 'traditional' RPG so it still sits there - The World Ends With You is brilliant though. And I always felt Pokemon was more of an adventure game so I didn't include any on the list, but the franchise would probably take the top few places.

I don't think I have a top 10, but:

Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy X
Dragon Quest VIII

Well at least I got to five. I think I may need some more variety. I have Morrowind lying about, maybe I should play that.

@dib8rman

4. Star Ocean 2 Silver star Story

I have no idea which game this is. I think you mean one of these two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_ocean_2

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar:_Silver_Star_Story_Complete

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

Around the Network

Mines will be:

10-Final Fantasy XII
09-Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
08-Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
07-Final Fantasy IX
06-Vagrant Story
05-Pokemon Yellow
04-Ogre Battle 64
03-Chrono Trigger
02-Final Fantasy VIII
01-Tales of Symphonia

Wii60+DS owner

Long Time Nintendo loyalist

1. Phantasy Star 1 -- turned me on to RPG's as it was the first one I played. Upside: I bought and played dozens of RPG's since- thank you Phantasy Star! Downside: that list includes such 'gems' as Hydlide- damn you Phantasy Star! Seriously though, that game was years ahead of it's time when I got it waaaay back in '88(if I'm remembering correctly.)

All others in no particular order:
FF6
FF10
FF12
Xenogears
Oblivion(250+ hrs on this one)
Dragon Warrior(no idea what numbered DQ game that was).
DQ8
Miracle Warriors
Star Ocean: Till the end of time

the lack of western RPGs baffle me. No wonder most people's lists are filled with inferior such as tons of Final Fantasy ,Tales of and other jRPGs.

shio said:
the lack of western RPGs baffle me. No wonder most people's lists are filled with inferior such as tons of Final Fantasy ,Tales of and other jRPGs.

The only western RPGs I have ever played were Fable and Mass Effect.  I like Fable but other than the story, ME was meh to me

IMHO JRPG>WRPG, and I've been playing RPG-style games since I was about 10.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce