By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much textures could the wii fit due to compression?

The wii is suppose to be a gamecube upgraded in terms of graphically capabilites. So it has the same option to compress textures that wouldn't fit in it's ram? Right? I belive the gamecube allowed for 6 times more textures due to this compression. For example 18mb of ram for textured really was the equivalent to 108mb. So does anybody know if it's the same for the wii, or more? I need to know for my  analysis I'm making of the wii's graphical capabilities, but can't find anything about it.

Around the Network

S3TC is pretty much standard these days but it has 8:1, 6:1 and 4:1 capabiltiies.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
S3TC is pretty much standard these days so yes, it would still be 6:1.

Ok thanks.

Edited my post, sorry.

Oh, well thanks again.

Around the Network

Please I need more help. Did the original xbox and ps2 have any form of texture compression support? If so how did it compare to the gamecubes.

The title of this thread confuzzles me.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

Domo-Kun said:

How so?

RolStoppable said:
sc94597 said:
Domo-Kun said:

How so?

You mention Wii Fit in the title, yet in the thread you ignore the game completely.
I meant "fit" as how much it could take up until it goes to the limit.

sc94597 said:
Please I need more help. Did the original xbox and ps2 have any form of texture compression support? If so how did it compare to the gamecubes.

Xbox also has 6:1 S3TC texture compression.

PS2 supports a different 4:1 texture compression scheme BUT it has to be decompressed before it is piped into the Graphic Synthesizer since it can't decompress textures itself in real time.  Meaning its benefit is purely storage only and not saved bandwidth like the other systems enjoy.