By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Sees Slow Wii Sales in Korea

MontanaHatchet said:
One thing you have to remember is that the PS3 (to my knowledge) launched in Korea before it launched in Europe. So the PS3 launched in Korea around the same time that it launched in America and Japan. Due to that, Sony likely had very low supply to allocate to the country. Just look at the pitiful hardware sales that it had at the beginning of its life in "Other," and now look.

The Wii is supply constrained, sure, but maybe only in America and a few other countries. They have plenty of stock for a huge launch in Korea which Sony likely did not. Same for the 360, although Microsoft's stock problem wasn't as bad.

It's interesting to see that Zack & Wiki and other highly acclaimed games sell well in Korea. They're not going for the casual games like the other regions are. Due to this, the Wii isn't likely to cause an expansion like it did elsewhere. The market will have to expand with more games and time. And of course, more population.

what are you talking about? PS3 being supply constraind in Korea?   It has sold 50k lifetime and is in supply in every place i've been to.  Perhaps you didn't read the numbers correctly.  Wii has sold 35-40k in 1 month while PS3 sold 50k in about  a year.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
One thing you have to remember is that the PS3 (to my knowledge) launched in Korea before it launched in Europe. So the PS3 launched in Korea around the same time that it launched in America and Japan. Due to that, Sony likely had very low supply to allocate to the country. Just look at the pitiful hardware sales that it had at the beginning of its life in "Other," and now look.

PS3 launched 3 months after Europe, a year ago this month. PS3 can't be pirated so it's appeal in Korea is close to non-existent. Comparing Wii sales to PS3 sales might make it seem that Wii is doing good, but in reality 35,000 - 40,000 in launch month is pretty low for Wii, before launch many in here were saying NA supply was being diverted to Korea, clearly that wasn't the case. PS2 has sold something like one and a half million in Korea, so it's not as if there is no console market there. Maybe now that the Korean Wii has been hacked it will sell more hardware, but imported Wii have been available in Korea since Japan launch, so if they can play pirated Korean games on import consoles there will be little reason for current owners to buy a Korean model.

Lets see, I could buy a korean wii, with about 10 titles released... Or I could buy a Japanese Wii with hundreds...