By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - microsoft giving up japan?

A spokes man from microsoft said to kikzio that they would stop investing in games aimed at the japanese market adn that it would be to expensive and risky.

It looks like there wont be alot of jrpg for the 360 in the future

http://www.gamer.no/artikler/xbox_360_fortsatt_svak_i_japan/52288?pid=16

Its in norwegian so you wont be able to readit unless youre swedish, danish or norwegian

Around the Network

hmm, how credible is this?

They just bought off exclusive rights (timed or not) to Tales game, which will do absolutely nothing for xbox anyway. Seems like pretty pointless for a company to just now "abandon" Japan.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

hahaha i could've thought they were aimed at the americans,the way they sell in Japan.

If I was Microsoft I would have given japan up , makes business sense as they aren't doing good there at all and don't really have alot of potential to do any better.

If I'm understanding correctly, he also specifically said why they didn't pay for FFXIII exclusivity. He says he's not even sure that would have been enough to attract Japanese gamers, which is why it would be a risky strategy.

It was Shane Kim, so it should be credible.

PS: Take this with a grain of salt, I just know some Danish and Swedish, never learned Norwegian.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Well with Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Spectral Force, Operation Darkness, Zoids Assault coming out soon, doesnt seem so. Plus we should be hearing something from Mistwalker soon.

I think they will be more focused on 3rd party rather than 1st party... that I can believe.

Nope thats what it says nj5, no reason to take it with a grain of salt.

masterb8tr said:
Nope thats what it says nj5, no reason to take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks, that's cool :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The 360 is braindead in Japan. MGS4's first week sales will probably crush the 360's best selling game's LTD for Japan, Blue Dragon. And Blue Dragon has outdone the second best selling 360 game for Japan by about 2 to 1.

IMO high end ambitious Japanese targeted content on the PS3 and lowend demanding content targeted at PS2 and Wii makes much more sense, rather than wasting Japanese talent on creating 360 games for Japan.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

EaglesEye379 said:
Well with Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Spectral Force, Operation Darkness, Zoids Assault coming out soon, doesnt seem so. Plus we should be hearing something from Mistwalker soon.

I think they will be more focused on 3rd party rather than 1st party... that I can believe.

Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery(JRPG's)most likely timed exclusives.Mistwalker is a 1st party developer.The rest are not JRPG's.

They can't keep investing in IP's for the Japanese market if their(Japanese) not the ones buying it.