By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo need to reel in core gamers - will they do it?

This whole Ubisoft thing, Capcoms recent silence regarding the wii and the fact that most games aimed at Core gamers seem to be PS360. Nintendo have made huge in roads this year in my opinion with the launch of the balance board where even if it was aimed at casuals with Wii Fit this is gonna cross over into the core games as we've already seen a lot of compatible games announced for it and I believe once a few more games are launched and Wii Fit demand is met - we'll see a stand alone Balance Board for sale.

We've also seen loads of online goodies thrown this year with WW roll out of DS channel, SSBB and MKWii both having comprehensive online modes, Wii Ware, announcement of DLC and MMO aimed pay to play.

These online new features and improvements will help core games as they offer better services and choices to third party devs but there's still things that could be done to make huge leaps to entice a wider range of core games. I noticed for example that the DS demo channel demos, videos were 90% Nintendo - should Nintendo offer a system where games critiqued AA or AAA somehow could get their own showcase reel on the Nintendo channel? or perhaps some VIP tagged devs could control their own material to be broadcast on there?

The big question is as well - with Wii Ware games taking up to 250 blocks storage is a massive problem and made more urgent, do we need a solution now before more core gamers will see the Wii as a system of choice or is this a non issue as Nintendo state?

To conclude - do Nintendo need to aim for core gamers a little more or keep the Wii very simple to keep snagging the casuals and allow the labels that the Ubisofts are attaching to the Wii to remain?

Around the Network

How about they are reaching the core gamers, and Ubisoft is just blatantly ignoring them?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

You're right Ubisoft is just ignoring them but do you feel Nintendo are doing everything right or is there anything you personally feel could be done better.

Nintendo isn't already attracting the core gamers?

1- Why did the Monster Hunter and Fatal Frame franchises move to the Wii then? Are Capcom and Tecmo stupid?

2- Who is buying RE4:Wii, SMG, MP3, RE:UC, SSBB and Zelda?

3-  Why are games considered "hardcore" outselling casual games on the Wii if you average them out? (discounting Wii Sports and Wii Play for obvious reasons)

4- Why did the games market actually shrink last year if you count out the Wii? Why are the PS3 and the 360 selling much less hardware than the consoles of the last generation did at the same point in time?

Some 3rd parties are already getting their heads out of their collective asses, more will follow. Nintendo should continue the winning strategy it has so far.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

1- Why did the Monster Hunter and Fatal Frame franchises move to the Wii then? Are Capcom and Tecmo stupid?

3- Why are games considered "hardcore" outselling casual games on the Wii if you average them out? (discounting Wii Sports and Wii Play for obvious reasons)

4- Why did the games market actually shrink last year if you count out the Wii? Why are the PS3 and the 360 selling much less hardware than the consoles of the last generation did at the same point in time?

Some 3rd parties are already getting their heads out of their collective asses, more will follow. Nintendo should continue the winning strategy it has so far.

Yes the wii is attracting the Core gamers and this is certainly growing on the Wii but is shovelware, as important as it is to snag younger audiences growing faster or slower than the Core side of it thats all i'm wondering.

If the shovelware side is growing faster - do Nintendo need to maybe say to devs "right come on - you've had a couple of years to find out whats work so now we're introducing a lower quality benchmark that we feel needs to be hit" or maybe reintroduce the seal of Quality?

or do you feel just leave it and quality will rise above all of the guff eventually and it'll sort itself out?

Around the Network
Me said:

Yes the wii is attracting the Core gamers and this is certainly growing on the Wii but is shovelware, as important as it is to snag younger audiences growing faster or slower than the Core side of it thats all i'm wondering.

If the shovelware side is growing faster - do Nintendo need to maybe say to devs "right come on - you've had a couple of years to find out whats work so now we're introducing a lower quality benchmark that we feel needs to be hit" or maybe reintroduce the seal of Quality?

or do you feel just leave it and quality will rise above all of the guff eventually and it'll sort itself out?

I think market saturation will take care of those publishers who invest too much on any specific genre, be it casual sports games, FPSs, whatever. A given audience won't keep buying extremely similar games at a high rate, especially the casual audience who by definition only includes people who play less on their consoles, thus taking longer to get tired of a game.

Nintendo doesn't need to do anything to attract core gamers. They need to attract developers for core gamers. They need to let developers know that the wii has core gamers too, not just casuals.

Developers need to understand that core gamers often play casual games too, and just because raving rabbids does well, does not mean that those same people will not buy core games.

jlauro said:
Nintendo doesn't need to do anything to attract core gamers. They need to attract developers for core gamers. They need to let developers know that the wii has core gamers too, not just casuals.

Developers need to understand that core gamers often play casual games too, and just because raving rabbids does well, does not mean that those same people will not buy core games.

Thats exactly what i was trying to say but you've put it so much better - do you think Nintendo need to maybe offer to publish games like The Conduit and ensure it has the same chances that say MP had with it's own preview channel or hype it on Nintendo Channel?

Or do you feel that it's so much more important that one of these Devs has a success on their own merit to avoid the whole nintendo only sells when bullsh*t comments?

can you maybe even see in the future third party channels like Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit etc?

Offering to market games on the Nintendo channel is definitely a good idea, they have a pretty long video about PES 2008 there which explains the control scheme in detail.

Publishing those games is more complicated for the reason you pointed out. I'd rather that it be done only as a last resort, if they think the game is good but no other publisher wants to pick it up.

Me said:
NJ5 said:

3- Why are games considered "hardcore" outselling casual games on the Wii if you average them out? (discounting Wii Sports and Wii Play for obvious reasons)

http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html

Also read the top article here.

http://malstrom.50webs.com/news.htm

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.