By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is it legal to set rules for people to review your product?

source GameSetWatch

COLUMN: 'Game Mag Weaseling': Mag Roundup 5/31/08

When it rains, it pours in Mag Roundup. Two weeks, there were hardly any magazines to talk about -- this time around, everything came into my mailbox all at once, even the two flight-sim magazines whose subscriptions are (thankfully) about to run out.

We're beginning to enter the boring season not just for mags, but for games, too -- but that's a good thing, because it means we'll see more creativity and originality from mags as they attempt to fill the pages with fresh content instead of the usual previews and reviews. Ostensibly. It'd be nice, anyway.

Let's go forward and see what's new in the mag scene -- and if there's any controversy to be found in the MGS4 reviews that're starting to creep out...

Anyone care to explain how/why it's legal for them to set rules?

Around the Network

/hijack

If IGN caved in to the "limit", does that make them less trust worthy than EGM?

/boycotting IGN

I like the scoreless review but i do not think a company should impose said limits but if Konami said "Can you not give it scores but rather just a review" then i see no problem.

Mil. Sellers:

Wii:      25 titles       101.4 mil total    avg 4 mil per title

PS3:     14 titles      28.6 mil total    avg ~2 mil per title

360:     41 titles      89.8 mil total   avg  >2 mil per title

Scoreless reviews would be amazing. Maybe people would actually read the reviews instead of skipping to the score and going OMFG this game sucks it only got 8/10 it's not AAAAAAAAAAAA ps3 sucks. Better yet maybe people wouldn't compare different games by score alone and insult the reviewers for AN OPINION.

Yes

In short: the intellectual property (IP) used in the review is privately owned. If you want review code early -- i.e.: you want access to their privately owned IP before the rest of the market -- you may be requested to sign the equivalent of an non-disclosure agreement, limiting your ability to freely talk about their IP. However, once that IP is released freely on the market, such limitations come to an end for obvious reasons.

So, if you want a review potentially filled with spoliers, or discussing aspects of the game that the publisher does not wished to be discussed, wait until after the game has had its official release.

That's about it. Nothing especially sinister, although it does pass control to the IP owners rather than the reviewers. And given most reviewers want their reviews out early, they sometimes have to sacrfice their free speech in the short term to achieve this.

Around the Network

They just use blackmail, by saying review the game we want you to or you wont be getting a copy of this game or any other of are games early to review.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Asking reviewers not to reveal spoilers is perfectly fine by me, but asking them not to reveal potential shortcomings of the game is just trying to manipulate the market to your favor. It gets reviewers to be one step closer to simple marketing puppets in the hands of publishers, which is shameful in my opinion.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Im sure there could be a law suit on some freedom of speech angle.

I think its really a lol moment if they can try to restrict the 2 facts (90 minute cutscenes and 5gb install) and say its because of spoilers.

Its just makes future comments about biased 360 reviews and biased to 360 Metacritic averages all the more funny.

Hapimeses said:
In short: the intellectual property (IP) used in the review is privately owned. If you want review code early -- i.e.: you want access to their privately owned IP before the rest of the market -- you may be requested to sign the equivalent of an non-disclosure agreement, limiting your ability to freely talk about their IP. However, once that IP is released freely on the market, such limitations come to an end for obvious reasons.

So, if you want a review potentially filled with spoliers, or discussing aspects of the game that the publisher does not wished to be discussed, wait until after the game has had its official release.

That's about it. Nothing especially sinister, although it does pass control to the IP owners rather than the reviewers. And given most reviewers want their reviews out early, they sometimes have to sacrfice their free speech in the short term to achieve this.

For me it's fine if they don't call it a review. Instead they can use preview, scoop, breaking news, etc, seasoned with all the superlatives that are perfectly fine with marketing, even with a hopeful preview of a promising title, reserving to confirm them later or not with a true, thorough review,  but should be left out of a serious review unless they are fully justified (i.e. for titles really deserving more than 94/100 even without developer/publisher pressure).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

why is it legal? Because there's no law against it? What are you going to do, arrest IGN? ;)

It's just an agreement for ADVANCE review. If you don't like the term of the agreement, don't do the advance review.

I remembered IGN turned out its advance review for "Escape from Bug Island" due to the fact the game sucked. I don't remember anybody talking about that.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)