By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's not the Wii it's your TV

I have always assumed when people complain about the Wii''s graphics they mean in comparison to HD game systems. Now I realize that  that many people aren't taking full advantage.

I have a 42 inch 1080P Sharp Aquos with the Wii hooked up via component. I think the Wii looks great on it (very sharp and slick in a minimalist kind of way)

My friend recently purchased a 56 inch Samsung DLP. And quite frankly it looked like crap. He didn't bother with components and he didn't  even know that he could set it to widescreen. It looked worse that the crappy comcast feed I get for basic cable. Now his 360 stilll looked prety decent, but the Wii was so flickery and even dvds looked pretty bad.

So I  advise all of who are interested in fidelity to take a look at your set-up and try to make the most of it, and not all HD tvs are good at displaying DVD quality content (480P).

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Around the Network

Not everyone can afford state of the art televisions....some of us can barely afford a console

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

I have an HDTV and hooked it up as is since I don't know how to work it. I have 2 questions for ya
1. How do I set the Wii to widescreen? (I set the brawl game manually in-game, but setting the whole system would be good for VC and Gamecube and games that don't have manual widescreen)
2. What is HDMI/component cable ect? whats it do? Where can I get a Wii cable? And how do I hook it up? Thanks!

^^ Component cables are a cable that splits up the video stream into 3 different streams which makes much higher fidelity connections (better than 480i resolution (SDTV)), and BTW I don't think wii hooks up with a HDMI cable which is yet another video transfer cable technology.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

I have a 720p Sharp Aquos with component connection and can clearly see the image is a blowed up 420p image. Oh Yeah it sharp alright, all those big jagged edges. (sharpness really bring them out) It's the same with playing PS2 games on a HDTV, HDTv really shows PS2 it's age like running an old low resolution PC game on a up to date PC monitor.

The problem is those jagged edges are there on a SDTV also but they aren't as sharp nor blowed up (not as noticeable) like they are with a HDTV.

Another thing about SD is how quickly you loses details with increase distance. Blow this up on a 42" make it even more noticeable. 

So Iyou could say it's not the wii but the game's low resolution.

Around the Network

dsch: Samsung actually includes good scalers with the TV set. If your friend had component and set things correctly, it could look fairly good.

Hawkeye:

(1) Set it in the Wii settings at the main channel. You don't need to set it per game, it's a system setting.

(2) Buy component cables here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3566&seq=1&format=2

They're good, solid component cables and will give you great performance.

I have a 720p Sharp Aquos with component connection and can clearly see the image is a blowed up 420p image. Oh Yeah it sharp alright, all those big jagged edges.

Your TV probably has a poor scaler. Wii games should look reasonably smooth. My set is 50" and Wii games look good, although PS2 games look very jagged (of course, connected via component also). 360 games look fine as well.

zero129 said:
Wii owners please dont even buy a HD tv, its a wast of time..

Well maybe Wii owners watch TV too...

You sir, FAIL

Edit: The wii outputs in EDTV 480p in 16:9 aspect ratio, last i looked that was not standard definition...

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

^
So I suppose I shouldn't have bought one even though I also own a PS3. Trolling is not cool trolling with a low post count might get you labeled.

The widescreen option is found in the Wii settings, select screen option and pick 16 x 9.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

TheBigFatJ said:
dsch: Samsung actually includes good scalers with the TV set. If your friend had component and set things correctly, it could look fairly good.

Hawkeye:

(1) Set it in the Wii settings at the main channel. You don't need to set it per game, it's a system setting.

(2) Buy component cables here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3566&seq=1&format=2

They're good, solid component cables and will give you great performance.

I have a 720p Sharp Aquos with component connection and can clearly see the image is a blowed up 420p image. Oh Yeah it sharp alright, all those big jagged edges.

Your TV probably has a poor scaler. Wii games should look reasonably smooth. My set is 50" and Wii games look good, although PS2 games look very jagged (of course, connected via component also). 360 games look fine as well.

The problem isn't poor scaler as a scaler mostly muddy up a blow up image (making the doubled pixels less noticeable) so it's not as obvious the image is blowed up. Scaler works the best for DVD movies which my HDTV seems to handle very well.