By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Munkeh111 said:
naznatips said:
I enjoyed it... but that said, I was sad that these features were left out:

Buying and owning property, flying airplanes, custom cars, custom radio station (added in the PC version of San Andreas), attack helicopter (yes, there is one, but no missiles on it), harrier jet, parachutes/base jumping, diving underwater, more weapons (especially the flamethrower!).

Seems kinda stupid that they can make a "sequel" and only add physics improvements and minor features like browsing the internet while removing all those major features. In the end, the game simply wasn't as enjoyable as San Andreas or Vice City. It lacked the witty humor and didn't make up for it in new features. Still a good game, but the weakest entry in the franchise since it went 3D.

In terms of airplanes, I doubt that they could get it streaming well enough, because even in the chopter, you do notice quite a bit of pop-in. All those other things you mention were the things I missed (apart from custom radio stations, do you mean custom soundtracks?) especially the missiles in the Anhilator (I prefered when it was called the hunter) I was really pissed off in last mission when I found I couldn't do that

To be honest, I did prefer the shooting and driving, but all the little extras were missing, which is why I have stopped playing since I finished the game

In San Andreas on PC you can have a "User Track Player" radio station.  You dump a bunch of your MP3s in the folder and it will play them randomly, along with standard GTA-style commercials.  It was really awesome.  

Around the Network

My only question is: How are you playing it?

MontanaHatchet said:
My only question is: How are you playing it?

Me?  I have 2 friends with PS3s and one with a 360.  All 3 of them had the game at one point (the 360-owning friend sold his copy because he was really pissed at all the stuff Rockstar pulled out).  I've got at least 10 hours of play time with GTAIV.

[rant]

From what I've played, I didn't like it very much. Sure, it has the best story of all the GTA games (it literally pulls you right at the start and keeps you going the whole time), but they removed so much stuff that in the end it's a much worse product. Taxi/ambulance/police/fire truck missions are gone, gangs are gone, bicycles are gone, so much stuff has been removed that it took away a lot of the fun. Not only that, but the rewards for these types of things are no where to be found. Where are the hidden packages that unlock cars and weapons that you can grab at your safe house?

The funky aiming and horrible cover system didn't help matters any either.

Honestly, they took the best free roam game out there and made it very linear, despite the physical openness of the world around you. And while the story is great (though I've heard it kind've peters out around the half way mark. I only got 6-7 hours into the game, so I couldn't say), the missions are crap. You're either bowling with your girlfriend, stealing cars, or being a chauffeur. It's terribly repetitive, and many of the missions (bowling) aren't even fun the time.

[/rant]

Edit:  I think that the game is quite a bit overrated and a big step back in many areas from GTAIII/VC/SA (and I'm certainly not alone in this), and I hope that game reviewers across the board get over this sense of "ZOMG it's GTA!!1!" when it comes time to pick the GotY.

@ making music, the first 5 hours at least are basically tutorials, the gameplay gets much more fun. Why is the cover system horrible? it works very well

Around the Network

Ugh, I think the cover system is terrible. It doesn't even work as well as Uncharted's cover system and that is sad. It requires a regearing of your brain to make it work and even then, you only have a ~80% chance of getting it to work on the first push of a button.

Gears and GRAW have shown how to properly implement a cover system. I don't understand why in 2008, so many other developers are still having a fucking problem with it. Just copy Epic and Ubi and move on. Don't try to reinvent the wheel with a triangular piece of stone, you dipshits.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

What was wrong with it, anyway in most firefights you can survive without it

Munkeh111 said:

Well, several things continually happen to me in GTA IV:

1. I don't stick to the wall/cover

2. I stick to the wrong piece of cover

3. I can't unstick from the cover

4. I yell a lot

If you're moving methodically through a room, the cover seems to be okay. Once things get a little hectic, the cover system goes to shit. I expect to be able to traverse cover and move quickly using the system and GTA IV doesn't like that approach. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Munkeh111 said:

Well, several things continually happen to me in GTA IV:

1. I don't stick to the wall/cover

2. I stick to the wrong piece of cover

3. I can't unstick from the cover

4. I yell a lot

If you're moving methodically through a room, the cover seems to be okay. Once things get a little hectic, the cover system goes to shit. I expect to be able to traverse cover and move quickly using the system and GTA IV doesn't like that approach. 

I as well experienced all these problems with the cover system.  Number 3 was especially annoying.  

Like I said in the end this is really the worst 3D GTA game.  Way too much removed, and the additions are nowhere near enough to make up for it.   I honestly have no idea what happened with the reviews for this game, but there aren't many people I know who agree with them.

Also, I strongly suggest everyone read the gaf thread in Music's link.   At least the OP anyway.

I am quite suprised that you all hated the cover system, but I had not problem with it. I prefer the non-lock on cover, as in that you have to hold the button rather than just snap on. Generally i did not find that there was a huge amount of cover so sticking to the wrong one was not that much of a problem
Then again since I have not played it a huge amount beyond the main story, when the levels are better designed for the cover to work