By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - metal gear really a system seller or a niche product with a loyal following

Riachu said:
Onimusha12 said:
If GTAIV (and the GTA games typically have twice the sales of MGS games) wasn't able to move consoles, then I don't see why MGS4 would especially considering its been hailed as the number one reason to own a PS3 since its launch.

@ JJSETH, you already own a PS3 though. Big Whoop. This generation in a nutshell has been the epitomy of gamers buying games they never would have generations past for any number of reasons ranging from painfully limited game libraries and a bottlenecking of genres to hype and advertising like we've never seen before.

GTAIV was a multiplatform game.  MGS4 is exclusive to the PS3.  People do think the game will evntually make it to the 360 but they do not know what they are talking about.

GTAIV didn't move consoles for either system so the point is moot. And regardless the GTA series has always sold double the amount of the MGS4 series. Exclusivity won't change much either, MGS4 more and more becomes another game your typical "Hardcore" gamer can take or leave as the market is saturated with gun toting icons. I know this just sounds like more fanboy dismissal, but with each new game that comes out this generation the less of a necessity MGS4 becomes to console now finally getting some decent games and a demographic as a whole bloated with healthy servings of shooters.

Around the Network

I personally don't believe that any game is a "system Seller". anyone who spends the kind of money most consoles cost these days for just one game is a fool. With that said any game that you know will sell 3 Million plus copies lifetime is far more than a "niche title". Like Socom, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, and gran taurismo, The MGS series is one of Sony's flagship franchisesIt is important for Sony to get their library of games (especially their traditional Library) kickstarted. There are a mountain of gamers still playing the PS2 out there, and with a reasonably priced Wii out there, there must be a reason they havent gone nezt gen yet. I personally believe they are waiting on one of two things (if not both). One being a cheaper Price point on the PS3. The other being the library of franchises They know and love, plus a few new ones to excite them. So far Sony has managed to sell nearly 13 million consoles without the advantage of price or this library. So yes MGS is kind of a kickstart for sales.

There are two elements to Metal Gear Solid games ...

It is a niche game that has a very loyal following, which just happens to be the same type of gamer who becomes a videogame reviewer or hangs out on web forums; much like Okami, No More Heroes, and ICO but on a larger scale. These gamers are (probably) willing to buy a PS3 to play Metal Gear Solid 4 but are also very likely to have already bought a PS3 to play Metal Gear Solid 4.

The other side of Metal Gear Solid's fans are just general gamers who are interested in the game because it is a high profile game on a system they already own; these gamers are not very likely to buy a PS3 simply to play Metal Gear Solid 4, but if they had bought a PS3 (or were going to buy one anyways) they would probably buy Metal Gear Solid 4.

With that said, the boost for the PS3 on the release of Metal Gear Solid 4 could be similar in size to the boost the PS3 received from the release of Grand Theft Auto 4; but it will not be similar in size to the combined boost the PS3 and XBox 360 received from the release of Grand Theft Auto 4.

It IS a system seller and the most shining example is me....

I never played an MGS game and don't own a PS3 and plan to do both on the 12th...

I buy it now but the decision to buy it was not only MGS4, it's also LBP (system seller for me), Resistance 2 (system seller for me), FFXIII (never played an FF game before, but hyped on this one as hell, system seller for me).....

Everyone see where i'm going.... MGS is the tipping point for me but my decision to get one took into consideration the other games coming out in the future as well....

MGS4 will be the tipping point of many PS2 owners and MGS fans (and other who are not) and so it will sell extra consoles...

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

It depends. It really depends how much the game already plays to the base.

To me... Niche games are more system sellers. Games like Disgaea 3 and Suikoden 5. Games that are made popular by "fringe" gamers.

For most others, they probably would of got the system anyway... and MGS would just speed it up for people making the plunge. 

Around the Network

lol they rated Halo 3 10/10 , Never heard of Edge here in the UK but with reviews like that i'm guessing I never will.

kowenicki said:
vaio said:
No system seller just a magnificent game that many love.

Any site that gave GTA IV a 10 and still sticking to it is not respectable and will not be untill they change that rewiev.

Why?   Arent people entitled to their own opinions..?

There are 77 (SEVENTY SEVEN) reviews scoring GTAIV 10/10 comining PS3 and 360 reviews... are all of those not respectable either?  grow up.

Now can we please stay on topic.

Because of all the glitches and other problems this game has that´s why. Just the glitches alone disqualifies this game from a 10. It´s a great game and I enjoy playing it but that doesn´t change the fact that it has problems, it should definetly score high but to get a 10 the least you have to have solved problems like glitches and the other things this game suffers from.

A question to other GTA players out there: Is Kate going to give it up and sleep with belic or is she just holding out all game? It really annoys me that she hasn´t put out yet, almost as annoying as Carmen is/were (just dumped that fortune seeking bitch).

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

I for one think that Halo 3 did not deserve that 10 any more than MGS4. Both have the same thing, but improved...no serious "innovation".

|OT|

Well, it will move some hardware, but nothing jaw dropping...

I think the bundle is a fact many are overlooking here, I believe there is a Bundle for this game in every region, Correct? The return of the 80 gig here in NA will definately spur some sales, and the fact that it's a bundle with the PS3's biggest exclusive of the year will just add plain value to others. I certianly not expecting an outragous change but none the less the PS3 should get a solid boost for the remainder of June. and as I said before it will also add help in the future for just being in the library, but this will be some you won't be able to truly quantify.

Edge is the most respected UK magazine. Atleast as far as the US is concerned.

Also, I will agree that while a game may not need to be perfect to get a 10 (no game can be perfect.)

It should at least be free of simple graphic flaws.