By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

yeah if its Zed then B should be "bed" instead of "bee" and C should be "ced" instead of "cee", etc. etc.

Around the Network

I say Zee, but I've heard of Zed a million times.

That Guy said:
yeah if its Zed then B should be "bed" instead of "bee" and C should be "ced" instead of "cee", etc. etc.

And yet we have letters like haich and kiuw... the letter sound does not have to agree with the rest of the alphabet.

aee
bee
see
dee
ee
ef
jee
haich
aii
jai
kai

el
em
en
ow
pee
kiuw
ar
es
tee
yoo
vee
double yoo
eks
waii
zed

The ones of similar colours are kind of grouped, but there is no pattern.

Perhaps we should just talk akin to The Two Ronnies.

F U N E X (have you any eggs)
S V F X (yes we have eggs)

F U N E M (have you any ham)
N O V F N N E M (no, we haven't any ham)

How interesting. I've never known the rest of the world said 'Zed'. I've only ever heard it as 'Zee'.

The things you learn on VGChartz, amazing

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

well if you really want to follow the original greek letters, then if Zed = Zeta, then B should follow the same form as Beta, and so on and so forth.

Around the Network
That Guy said:
well if you really want to follow the original greek letters, then if Zed = Zeta, then B should follow the same form as Beta, and so on and so forth.

So what we're saying is that zed is right and the rest of the alphabet is fucked, right?

I remember my trip to Australia for work. I said Zee and some of them at first had clarify what i was talking about. lol. I had to learn to use Zed when talking to my Australian and UK customers.

sc94597 said:
Q_A_X said:
The correct usage is that of the nation the language originated from.

So we should all be using zeta? Isn't that what this specific word originated as? :)

Edit: Zee btw.

Well even though I don't agree with his sentiment you're still wrong. We aren't speaking Greek, we're speaking English. The English use 'zed'.

That Guy said:

Yea, it's already been said but we're speaking English, not Greek.

That Guy said:

Well ignoring the other replies about it being English, not Greek. Here is the Greek Alphabet to prove that silly rules like that don't make sense anyway.

English spelling
of Greek letter
Greek
Letter

Alpha

α

A aee
Beta

β

B bee
Gamma

γ

Y waii
Delta

δ

D dee
Epsilon

ε

E ee
Zeta

ζ

Z zed
Eta

η

H haich
Theta

θ

??? probably the letter for the "th" sound
Iota

ι

I aii
Kappa

κ

K kai
Lambda

λ

L el
mu

μ

M em
nu

ν

N en
xi

ξ

??? suspected letter "C"?
omicron

ο

O ow
pi

π

P pee
rho

ρ

R ar
sigma

σ

S es
tau

τ

T tee
upsilon

υ

U yu
phi

φ

??? perhaps "F"
chi

χ

X eks
psi

ψ

??? unknown, probably seperate sound
omega

ω

W double yu

missing in English "G" and "J"
(coincidence that these two letters are similar in English?)

If by your means Beta becoming "bee" means that Zeta should become "zee", how do you explain "aee", "dee" "ee" "pee" and "tee" are from alpha, delta, epsilon etc... instead of aeta, deta, eta, peta, and teta. (also C may be xi instead of ceta)