By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Videogame industry is backwards. Blockbusters are art, low budget isn't

darthdevidem01 said:
@ssj12

yes I have....its not a "pinnacle" in any way & it has no right to stand toe to toe with some names he put up there...

Final Fantasy should be there instead of Killzone

he also said Killzones, including Killzone: Liberation on the PSP and Killzone 2. Killzone itself definitely deserves to be there due to the fact it has the best graphics ever to grace the PS2. Killzone was also very high budget like Halo and the other games there, and it did make it back and then some. Killzone 2 is very high-budget and it has shown that the game is truly a marval. Liberation was an interesting title. 

You can not forget the technical aspect of the games. This is what he is pointing to. The more "high-budget" the title the more the game will get notice. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
also... Matrix?

I had a roommate that used to go on and on about how it was the epitome of the movie industry. Nothing before or after would reach the same level of depth and complexity, vision and storytelling that this film reached.

I saw it as a Kung-fu beat em' up with special effects. It might not have been the best example, but it's the one that sticks out the most in my mind.

CIHYFS?

Oh yeah, also, "dragon wars" was absolute shit, it's not better than anything. That is hands down one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I mean they outrun that dragon how many times? Just run, or drive or make any attempt to escape whatsoever and he just gives up. There was no thought put into it at all. Towards the end the main character gets shot in the chest, falls to the ground, and then two minutes later gets up, perfectly fine, not even a hole in his shirt, and walks off like nothing even happened. The story was gibberish, the special effects terrible, the acting horrible, nothing about that movie was good.

I'm all for indie films, I love indie films, but that is just a terrible suck ass movie.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

i view high budget games as art too, they look so good and so much effort is put into creating them.
wiki: Visual art is defined as the arrangement of colors, forms, or other elements "in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium".

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:

low budget games aren't art? umm.... have you ever heard of independent games? Games like The Blob, Gish, Everyday Shooter, flOw, AudioSurf, Darwinia, DEFCON, Eets, Chaos Theory, etc?

I'm sorry but your point about low budget games was just crushed completely.

But to completely destroy your argument. Hollywood movies tend to end up going into sequel hell. Independant Films are always new, different, low-budget, and pretty good. Even indie film's worst, for example Dragon Wars, beats the hell out of most of Hollywood's typical crap they put out.

You are really having a bad day when it comes to reading comprhension.

no, I'll admit I didn;t read his post. I went off the title. X_X

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

@BCCrayfish

The "CONCEPT" Behind matrix was VERY interesting to me....and it was PRAISED for its story as well...

ofcourse I feel the sequels just about destroyed what could've been a franchise on the level of T3H mighy

Star Wars

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@SSJ12

I am a HUGE Star Wars fan but dude....It DID NOT win LOADs of awards....& it didn't win any major awards...like best film...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/awards

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080684/awards

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086190/awards

The IMDb disagrees with you.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

darthdevidem01 said:
@BCCrayfish

The "CONCEPT" Behind matrix was VERY interesting to me....and it was PRAISED for its story as well...

ofcourse I feel the sequels just about destroyed what could've been a franchise on the level of T3H mighy

Star Wars

I not saying that it wasn't a good or interesting movie, or that it's story was lackluster. I'm just not sure that the movie had the qualities that would make it considered art. 

CIHYFS?

Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Lord of the rings & Titanic are I thin THE ONLY 2 MOVIES with a HIGH Budget that won LOADS of awards

what? are you serious? StarWars? Narnia?

The first 3 Star Wars movies had low budgets to my knowledge.

Especially the first one...

Blockbusters become Blockbusters by being ground breaking or by improving greatly on a current idea, take a game like Gears of War the 3PS genre is hardly new, but its new features and simple to play multiplayer make it fairly unique and a cut above others in its genre, if you ask me thats just as much inovation in improving a tried and trusted format as there is in creating a new one, both will have pros and cons and both will be loved by some and hated by others.