By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you find that when chatting on the internet you throw in Americanisms?

Kiwis are funny, it's like a south african/Aussie accent hybrid, it's great.

Around the Network

Plus we speak really really fast which makes misunderstanding us even easier.

Mind you its the Aussies who pronounce 'six' as 'seeex'.

Rath said:

No, actually Kiwi's pronounce 'six' the same way Aussies pronounce 'sex', and Aussies pronounce 'sex' the same way Kiwi's pronounce 'six'.

It's all very confusing.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Rath said:

No, actually Kiwi's pronounce 'six' the same way Aussies pronounce 'sex', and Aussies pronounce 'sex' the same way Kiwi's pronounce 'six'.

It's all very confusing.

Yes but Kiwis pronounce it with an actual 'i' sound, just not as pronounced as the 'i' sound in most accents (hence the confusion with 'sex') however the Australian accent doesn't even attempt an 'i' sound, its blatantly an 'e' sound.

Rath said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Rath said:

No, actually Kiwi's pronounce 'six' the same way Aussies pronounce 'sex', and Aussies pronounce 'sex' the same way Kiwi's pronounce 'six'.

It's all very confusing.

Yes but Kiwis pronounce it with an actual 'i' sound, just not as pronounced as the 'i' sound in most accents (hence the confusion with 'sex') however the Australian accent doesn't even attempt an 'i' sound, its blatantly an 'e' sound.

No, you've got it all wrong. Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr1TUE1doJ8&feature=related

Clearly, your 'i's sound nothing like 'i's. It either comes out as an 'e' or a 'u' sound.

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:

Clearly, your 'i's sound nothing like 'i's. It either comes out as an 'e' or a 'u' sound.

Strangely enough we do pronounce a 'u' somewhat when we say some things (fish and chips being the prime example) but six is not one of them. I don't know why but you will never ever here a Kiwi say anything resembling 'sux' instead of 'six' or on any word like it (licks, kicks, mix). Fush and chups/fosh and chops however....

Rath said:
We use pants or trousers, rubbish or trash and we don't use either pavement or sidewalk but rather footpath. New Zealand English is just so much cooler no?

Footpath works, though generally when saying footpath I mean a path that is not by the side of a road (like one that cuts between some houses to get to the road at the other side) also known as a guinnel or snicket (though I don't use either myself), or for horses it's a bridleway.

to be honest most people I know just say "path" as opposed to pavement... pavement is reserved for saying things like "pavement artist"

---

I could go more regional and start talking like I come from up North, where t'weather is reet cold n wet. An we all us work darn t' pit.

Rath said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

Strangely enough we do pronounce a 'u' somewhat when we say some things (fish and chips being the prime example) but six is not one of them. I don't know why but you will never ever here a Kiwi say anything resembling 'sux' instead of 'six' or on any word like it (licks, kicks, mix). Fush and chups/fosh and chops however....

I don't think we'll ever reach an agreement. Let's just leave it here :P

Heh, looking through the videos it seems that you guys don't have the words 'cheeky' or 'cruisey'. Weird.

I tend to use 'ass' and 'butt' instead of 'arse' which really annoys me....i cant help but pander to my american teammates on COD4 team deathmatchs (except when im shooting them in the head)

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot