By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official UEFA Euro 2008 Thread

3-0 for Holland was unexpected for me.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
From BBC.co.uk:

But what looked a desperately poor decision was, in fact, a brilliant piece of officiating, according to the chairman of Austria's refereeing commission Gerhard Kapl.

Kapl said Van Nistelrooy was played onside by Italy's Christian Panucci, who had been injured seconds earlier and was lying behind the goal when the Dutch striker scored.

He said the goal was "100% correct, without any doubt", quoting article 11.4.1. of the refereeing code that states "an opposing player cannot be offside when one of the last two defenders has left the field of play" - as in the case of Panucci.

It should be added that Panucci had enough time to make it back into the field.

As for my predictions, I was way off (or better, predicted the exact opposite of what happened - I predicted a 3-0 victory for France, and a 1-1 tie for Netherlands-Italy.) I have never been more happy to be wrong. And you know what I find more compelling then this victory? The fact that the UEFA finally had a match worthy of watching. I could hardly finish any of the games I saw but this one was thrilling, is my guess, even to outsiders.

I do want to blow my own horn on one previous thing I mentioned though:  Attractive, offensive football should always prevail over the defensive style of the mediterrean country's. The effect has been seen.

As for today, I'm going out on a limb here but I predict Russia to win over Spain. Russia lost two of it's best strikers but the fuck.. Hiddink is coaching them! The guy got the frigging South Korean team to the semi finals of WC '02. And managed to get the Australians to finally play a decent football match.

Will still be a more boring match kinda like Romania-France with a lot of defense from the Russian side and a lot of offense from the Spannish. Gimme a 1-0 to Russia please.

Greece - Sweden: I like the Swedes more, and reject lightning hitting twice in the same spot. 2-0.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

okr said:
papflesje said:
If the Italian did it on purpose it would have been no offside.

That doesn't matter one bit. A player outside of the lines is not part of the game, therefore offside. Plain and simple.

They explained the rule again in half time: The defending player outside the goal line counts and therefore it was not offside.

Only if that player go outside on purpose to make offside . Panucci was injured outside the field ...

However Holland deserved to win. Good play and 2 counter-attack that broke italian defence (althought italian defence is famous to be strong it was our Achille heel yesterday ).

Well at least it was the best match until now. I hope Italy passes the turn

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

He wasn't really injured, he just got up in italian style with a lot of acting involved which takes time The Dutch player that fell behind the line with him was already back in the field when the goal happend

Romania v France- DULL with a capital D! Where was the imagination from the French.
Holland v Italy- what a game, and an excellent goal by Wesley Sneijder, plus I had no idea Van Bronckhorst and Kuyt were so quick. All the less the dutch proved me wrong, I thought Italy were going to win.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
The dirty cheating Dutch! Bastards!

That referee was blatantly biased towards the Dutch.

Goddamn dutch

Whatever, Netherlands were the better team. Also you would not think Italy were the World Champions after last night.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

SuperSteveyLes said:
colonelstubbs said:

Goddamn dutch

Whatever, Netherlands were the better team. Also you would not think Italy were the World Champions after last night.

As much as it pains me to confess that it´s true, Netherlands was the better team overall even if the judge help them out and it was well deserved victory. I for one am happy to have seen the tournaments best game so far and that the dutch attacking soccer style payed off wich hasn´t been the case the last tournaments. Most important of all Marco Van Basten got his revenge from the injuries they inflicted on him from his AC Milan days which stopped him from being crowned as the best player ever. If i would want any team to beat Italy it would always by Holland as they always have been my favorite team outside of my national fanboyism.

I hope Italy shapes up after this and turns it around if any team can manage that it´s Italy, can´t imagine the headlines in Italy today.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

colonelstubbs said:

Goddamn dutch

I have to ask you to point out any moments of "cheating" so I can refute them.

Also @ Vaio: I was actually wondering about Italian headlines. Part of it is gloating off course, but I'm also just curious what the Italians will place the most emphasis on: Referee decisions or faults within the own team?

I checked around today on the internet and even the German papers where impressed.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Esmoreit said:
colonelstubbs said:

Goddamn dutch

I have to ask you to point out any moments of "cheating" so I can refute them.

Also @ Vaio: I was actually wondering about Italian headlines. Part of it is gloating off course, but I'm also just curious what the Italians will place the most emphasis on: Referee decisions or faults within the own team?

I checked around today on the internet and even the German papers where impressed.

I am guessing they are being hanged along with the judge in the papers or they are just waiting for the players to get home so they can stone them at the airport.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Fido said:
He wasn't really injured, he just got up in italian style with a lot of acting involved which takes time The Dutch player that fell behind the line with him was already back in the field when the goal happend

Actually if you see the sequence , Buffon, italian goalkeeper, hits casually Panucci.

@Esmoreit

The blame was on the team ( and on C.T. ) obviously after this hystoric loss.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.