By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you make a non generic FPS?

@ion-storm

To answer to your previous post. Yeah, golden eye had a tank level. Could you get out of the tank tho? maybe sit on the side while someone else drove the tank and waive and the hot Russian chicks that are in the game?

Around the Network

I think the regenerating makes the games too easy.  I was raised on impossible games like Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Battletoads and don't need my life coming back on its own.  I want to fight for health packs and/or body armor and even ammo.  This is one of the many reasons I don't really play shooters anymore unless they do something really weird like Portal.

disolitude said:

@ The Ghost of RubangB

You obviously never played a multiplayer death match in your life if you miss the health bar.

What?

I was gonna make a smartass comment about being an oldtimer and you being some young whippersnapper who missed out on the impossible 8-bit games, but... you're a year older than me.  Hahaha.  Yeah I played a lot of deathmatch back in the day.

ion-storm said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
That Guy said:
stof said:
If they really want to freshen up the FPS genre, they'll do something new like set one in World War 2.

What are you talking about Stof? they are like dozens of WW2 FPSes.

If you REALLY want to make a fresh FPS game, you should make one where Aliens are invading and you have to fight them off!

No, make it where aliens are invading DURING World War II! Now that's fresh.

No, no, no. Some sort of alternative timeline where world war II never happened.

Now that's minty fresh!

And yes you could get out of the tank in Goldeneye and no someone else couldn't drive it since it wasn't included in the multiplayer modes. I remember getting out quite often since I sucked at aiming the tank cannon and I just used the rocket launcher to clear the mines. 

I'm more partial to the jet bike escape in Perfect Dark though. 

The Ghost of RubangB said:

I think the regenerating makes the games too easy. I was raised on impossible games like Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Battletoads and don't need my life coming back on its own. I want to fight for health packs and/or body armor and even ammo. This is one of the many reasons I don't really play shooters anymore unless they do something really weird like Portal.

disolitude said:

@ The Ghost of RubangB

You obviously never played a multiplayer death match in your life if you miss the health bar.

What?

I was gonna make a smartass comment about being an oldtimer and you being some young whippersnapper who missed out on the impossible 8-bit games, but... you're a year older than me. Hahaha. Yeah I played a lot of deathmatch back in the day.

I beat battletoads...sure it was on the genesis and not the nes but still pretty hard. :)

Secret was to get lots of hearts on that rope level, hit the warp zone on level 3 and pray to god its enough... once you die the first time and use a continue, its all over.

Solution to making a non generic FPS:

Make it more like Bioshock, and less like KZ2.

EDIT: add Halo 3, Crysis, Gears and CoD4 on the less side. Gosh... the're really sucky games.

and add S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and FarCry2 on the more side.

Around the Network

I liked CS where it gave you more incentive to stay alive-- i.e. no respawn and you had to watch until the 5 minute round ended.

Why is WW2 such a popular setting for FPSes anyways?

The FPS has evolved from getting keys and figuring out puzzles and mazes (i.e. Wolf3d and Doom) to giant outdoor battlefields.

I wouldn't mind like a Medieval/Ninja-Samurai/Fantasy FPS where you had arrows and daggers and stuff. And then you could do hand-to-hand or sword combat. Though something like that might be better suited as a 3rd person shooter.

twesterm said:
A generic FPS is one that does exactly (or really close) what every FPS before it has done.

Halo 3 - It was Halo 2 with a new coat of paint which was Halo 1 with a new coat of paint. The gameplay in Halo can be found in any number of FPs games and that makes it pretty generic. I suppose it did at least have 45 player co-op which helped.

Gears 2 - Looks to be like Gears 1 with some new gameplay mechanics and color but still Gears. Gears 2 gameplay has been copied and done several times, but Gears pacing and gameplay still feels different enough.

Killzone 2 - Nothing about that games seems new.

Portal - Brought a fresh new gun to the mix

Half-Life 2 - Was heavily physics based FPS in a world where there were not a lot of physics based FPS's. They also introduced us to the gravity gun.

Bioshock - Plasmids brought a semi-new twist to console players and the atmosphere was amazing.

In other words a generic FPS is a sequel

First Person Shooters are great, i love them, generic means theyre all similar which just isnt true, COD4 is different to Haze, which is Different to Gears of War, which is different to Unreal Tournament, calling them Generic is just FPS haters clutching at straws.

They should make a FPS Austin Powers game

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

an FPS western would be pretty badass too. Anyone remember Outlaws?