By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Infinite Undiscovery gonna play like ff12?

FFXII is incredible. Just the layout of the world alone puts it above the rest of the series. The sidequests are the best they have ever been, the way they tie into the monster hunts and vice versa.

What people don't realize is that the developers put control of the experience in the players hands. You don't have to use Gambits, or Wait mode. Playing on active mode without gambits, having to give commands on the fly makes the combat more challenging than ever. Alot of gamers just aren't used to thinking of what they can bring to the table to make a game experience better, or being given the tools/options to do so.

"Team Ivalice" (FFT, Vagrant Story, FFXII) is the best thing Square has going.

But anyways, IU is not set up like FFXII

Around the Network
Fuzzmosis said:
Let's defend the yelling of moves for a second: They are fighting monsters. If I didn't suddenly yell out "Tornado Backhand Upercut" my teammates may not know what I'm doing and get in the way! I don't want to Tornado Backhand Uppercut fiesty princess character!

Hahahahahaha, brilliant!

I hope they have the japanese voice over on the disc, for the english version is simply unbearable total junk (in my humble opinion). Still I hope the game will be good and I wouldn't mind it playing like FF12 either.

selnor said:
Bingoo said:
mrstickball said:
selnor said:

FF12 is considered the worst in the series both for combat and character progression by hardcore RPG fans. www.rpgamer.com

And FF hasnt been the leader since 7. Sales wise it's done well but as far as THE Rpg hardcore are concerned there are far better games over last 8 years.

OT: I hope that if it's realtime it works like Star Ocean. Suedo like FF12 was very untheraputic. But then I'm harsh on my RPG's since I own at last count 33.

Laughable. FFXII is NOT considered the worst of the series. It still ranks higher than X-2, VIII, and every given spinoff of the FF universe. Famitsu gave XII a 40/40 review, being (I believe) the 6th it ever gave out upto that point. Eurogamer gave it a 10/10 as well, and EuroGamer is one of the tougher magazines for reviews.

Not everyone liked FFXII, that's certain. It's the most different FF from any of the series. I appreciated the fact that it strayed from the slowly degrading crappy battle system it tweaked each game, and sucked a little bit more each time. Loved the auto-combat, the monster hunts. The License system was absolutely AWESOME.

So yeah..IU looks like an even better system overall. September 2nd can't come soon enough.

Rank does not mean everything. I dont think we really are including spin offs mr stick, but yes X-2 was by far worse then 12. I cannot believe you just made famitsu a credible source. And eurogamer is well.....not very consistent with reviews. You could argue other reviewers, like gametrailers and others, giving it low scores because they" Feel it did not have true FF spirit and story"

Im not going to talk about the battle system because it was a step of fresh air, but did not like it very much at all and it became VERY repititive later on. Mostly because of the gambit system, which was good to a certain extent.

I would hardly call each battle system the same. FF 10 was extremely different from the previous generations as well. As was the battle system of 7 to 8 and 8 to 9.

Monster hunts were cool ill admit and really added gametime/gameplay. But when the story is so danm bad that its the first FF ive never finished (ive played through 7-10 at least 3 times each at this point) and i tried to play it again just a few days ago but i just had no motivation at all so im playing star ocean over it (which is extremely sad).

The license system in no way was it awsome. I have no idea how you could even think it would be awsome. Making every board the same is pretty much a giant slap to the face for having the feel of different characters/ individuality. The game wants you to all go down the same path in order to complete the hardest objectives. Pretty much with the license system SE threw at us a bunch of clones and told us to go have fun.

And o god the character development/story/character designs. Holy hell what went wrong there.

My point has been proven. This is the difference between a FF lover and an RPG lover. 12 was poor amongst the RPG hardcore, which is what I was contesting with. You mentioned hardcore. Famistu and Eurogamer are far from RPG hardcore. :) 

You're full of it.  I am one of the hardcore, Japanese and Western RPGs, and FFXII is brilliant with some refreshing elements for JRPGs.   Maybe the story personally wasn't your taste, but for me it beat the adolescent, convoluted, silly anime-esque storylines of the other games in the series 

And btw, RPGamer gave it 4.5 out of 5.  RPGFan gave it 97.  Gametrailers an 8.

ArtznCraphs said:
selnor said:
Bingoo said:
mrstickball said:
selnor said:

FF12 is considered the worst in the series both for combat and character progression by hardcore RPG fans. www.rpgamer.com

And FF hasnt been the leader since 7. Sales wise it's done well but as far as THE Rpg hardcore are concerned there are far better games over last 8 years.

OT: I hope that if it's realtime it works like Star Ocean. Suedo like FF12 was very untheraputic. But then I'm harsh on my RPG's since I own at last count 33.

Laughable. FFXII is NOT considered the worst of the series. It still ranks higher than X-2, VIII, and every given spinoff of the FF universe. Famitsu gave XII a 40/40 review, being (I believe) the 6th it ever gave out upto that point. Eurogamer gave it a 10/10 as well, and EuroGamer is one of the tougher magazines for reviews.

Not everyone liked FFXII, that's certain. It's the most different FF from any of the series. I appreciated the fact that it strayed from the slowly degrading crappy battle system it tweaked each game, and sucked a little bit more each time. Loved the auto-combat, the monster hunts. The License system was absolutely AWESOME.

So yeah..IU looks like an even better system overall. September 2nd can't come soon enough.

Rank does not mean everything. I dont think we really are including spin offs mr stick, but yes X-2 was by far worse then 12. I cannot believe you just made famitsu a credible source. And eurogamer is well.....not very consistent with reviews. You could argue other reviewers, like gametrailers and others, giving it low scores because they" Feel it did not have true FF spirit and story"

Im not going to talk about the battle system because it was a step of fresh air, but did not like it very much at all and it became VERY repititive later on. Mostly because of the gambit system, which was good to a certain extent.

I would hardly call each battle system the same. FF 10 was extremely different from the previous generations as well. As was the battle system of 7 to 8 and 8 to 9.

Monster hunts were cool ill admit and really added gametime/gameplay. But when the story is so danm bad that its the first FF ive never finished (ive played through 7-10 at least 3 times each at this point) and i tried to play it again just a few days ago but i just had no motivation at all so im playing star ocean over it (which is extremely sad).

The license system in no way was it awsome. I have no idea how you could even think it would be awsome. Making every board the same is pretty much a giant slap to the face for having the feel of different characters/ individuality. The game wants you to all go down the same path in order to complete the hardest objectives. Pretty much with the license system SE threw at us a bunch of clones and told us to go have fun.

And o god the character development/story/character designs. Holy hell what went wrong there.

My point has been proven. This is the difference between a FF lover and an RPG lover. 12 was poor amongst the RPG hardcore, which is what I was contesting with. You mentioned hardcore. Famistu and Eurogamer are far from RPG hardcore. :)

You're full of it. I am one of the hardcore, Japanese and Western RPGs, and FFXII is brilliant with some refreshing elements for JRPGs. Maybe the story personally wasn't your taste, but for me it beat the adolescent, convoluted, silly anime-esque storylines of the other games in the series

And btw, RPGamer gave it 4.5 out of 5. RPGFan gave it 97. Gametrailers an 8.

There we go using reviews. I'm on about the players of the genre. Are you even a member of any of these sites? I am and on the forums after release it was smacked badly. Reviews media always hype FF games, it's rather sad. 

Around the Network
selnor said:
ArtznCraphs said:
selnor said:
Bingoo said:
mrstickball said:
selnor said:

You're full of it. I am one of the hardcore, Japanese and Western RPGs, and FFXII is brilliant with some refreshing elements for JRPGs. Maybe the story personally wasn't your taste, but for me it beat the adolescent, convoluted, silly anime-esque storylines of the other games in the series

There we go using reviews. I'm on about the players of the genre. Are you even a member of any of these sites? I am and on the forums after release it was smacked badly. Reviews media always hype FF games, it's rather sad.

That's because the only JRPGs capable of selling a million copies in America at this time is FF and KH.  Some of those other companies(especially Namco) should advertise their RPGs better if they want them to sell well in the US.

selnor said:

Already posted from actual RPG review sites, so I won't go there.

It's funny you mention "RPG Hardcore", yet I, and MANY FFXII fans are among the most hardcore RPG fans out there. You can't degrade XII into something that you only 'get' if your a casual RPG fan.

And for the record, did you like Vagrant Story?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

selnor said:
ArtznCraphs said:
selnor said:
Bingoo said:
mrstickball said:

That's nice, but he argued that Gametrailers and  "other reviewers" gave it low scores, not Gametrailers Forums.  Those are three to the contrary.  I can find many more.

mrstickball said:
selnor said:

Already posted from actual RPG review sites, so I won't go there.

It's funny you mention "RPG Hardcore", yet I, and MANY FFXII fans are among the most hardcore RPG fans out there. You can't degrade XII into something that you only 'get' if your a casual RPG fan.

And for the record, did you like Vagrant Story?

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I haven't play VS but I heard it was a love it/hate it game

Fuzzmosis said:
Let's defend the yelling of moves for a second: They are fighting monsters. If I didn't suddenly yell out "Tornado Backhand Upercut" my teammates may not know what I'm doing and get in the way! I don't want to Tornado Backhand Uppercut fiesty princess character!

hilarious.

i had to turn the trailer off after they started yelling out their moves, it was unbearable.