By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is Petrol So Expensive in Britain?

cdude1034 said:
Kasz216 said:
luinil said:
It wouldn't. The US is spread out and not dense like most of Europe. If gasoline gets too expensive people won't be able to get around as easily, causing more economic pains than just those felt at the pump...

Solution = lower taxes + more production.

Yeah. I live in a suburb where you freaking need to take a car to get to the Bus line.

lower taxes + more production = more consumption + less supply for the future, which of course equals even more expensive gasoline in the future.

If it was just that simple, right? How about we remove the speculators and investors, they are the biggest driving force in the oil/gas market.

Or, we can all trade in our Hummers for Prius's. Nah, too simple. Of course doing either of these things isn't realistic, but people have to realize that the oil/gas market isn't as simple as High School Economics: Supply and Demand.

You do know that America has enough oil to supply itself for at 20-30 years, and in that time could develop new technologies for energy? This is the short term fix, the long term is to move to hydrogen, but only when it gets to be market feasible. If it is pushed on us before it is cheap enough we will be worse off than with oil. What needs to happen is to allow the oil companies to explore and recover the oil they find. We need to allow off-shore drilling as well. Cuba is drilling closer to Florida than the American oil companies are allowed to...

edit: Another option is to switch to Natural Gas. It does everything that we need it to and, we have more than we know what to do with. There are conversion kits to let your car run on NG already, but it costs like $2k, but then the fuel costs like $1.50 which you fill up at your house.

Around the Network

Why?

Because you people keep spelling gas wrong. Along with so many other English words we Americans have perfected.

eab said:
Gas is more expensive in Norway, it's like $12 a gallon. Also, as people were saying, gas is more expensive in Europe but you guys have public transportation everywhere. In the U.S. since apartments cost so much in the city, most people live in the suburbs, end up driving 45 minutes to and from work with literally no options of public transit.

Gas is cheap in Norway if you compere it to the sallary.

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

superchunk said:
Why?

Because you people keep spelling gas wrong. Along with so many other English words we Americans have perfected.

lol... don't be too hard on them... after all where would we have gotten the term "fish and chips" from if not the English? But I agree. American is now the language of the world, not English. lolz. ^_^

luinil said:
superchunk said:
Why?

lol... don't be too hard on them... after all where would we have gotten the term "fish and chips" from if not the English? But I agree. American is now the language of the world, not English. lolz. ^_^

Actually I think you'll find that international English is proper English. Americans just use slightly backward things like American English and the Imperial System that are entirely out-dated in a worldly sense.

Around the Network
ferret1603 said:
They're actually considering raising fuel tax by another 2p "to save the environment". Welcome to utopian Britain where people are starting to stay in their town working on minimum wage because they can't afford to drive to decent work. The environment's very happy though.

so basically they are over taxing their people... I wonder if there will be a Revolutionary War =P I think that happened once before due to over taxation.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
ferret1603 said:
They're actually considering raising fuel tax by another 2p "to save the environment". Welcome to utopian Britain where people are starting to stay in their town working on minimum wage because they can't afford to drive to decent work. The environment's very happy though.

so basically they are over taxing their people... I wonder if there will be a Revolutionary War =P I think that happened once before due to over taxation.

The main cry in THAT war though was "No taxation without representation" since King George would not listen to the colonies. Did you also know that only about 30% actually supported going to war at the time, but that the entire "Congress" finally agreed to it after relentless pressure. 

But one could make the argument that the people are no longer being represented properly...

Between petrol prices and the insane amount needed for insurance for new drivers, it's all becoming less and less viable for lot of young drivers, so yeh...it sucks.

luinil said:
ssj12 said:
ferret1603 said:

The main cry in THAT war though was "No taxation without representation" since King George would not listen to the colonies. Did you also know that only about 30% actually supported going to war at the time, but that the entire "Congress" finally agreed to it after relentless pressure. 

But one could make the argument that the people are no longer being represented properly...

no true, if theym were representing you properly they would be fighting for lower taxes and gas prices.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453