By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Id Software Officially Working on Doom 4

Well this is actually semi-old news, but it's true!  Id Software is officially working on Doom 4 and Quake 5 possibly on the way in the near future!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom4/news.html?sid=6190526&om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;2

They have not specified platforms yet other than it will be on PC for sure but you can expect to see a XBox 360 and PS3 version probably such as they did with Doom 3.  though undoubtedly a much stripped down version.  The XBox version of Doom 3 had 1/4 the length of a single player and the graphics were on a setting lower than the low setting for PC.

I'm sure we can expect to see amazing graphics from this though surpassing Crysis and many other games and I can't wait to see more information on it!  This will definitely be a must buy for me, I loved Doom 3 and the other Doom and Quake games. 

PC Gamer
Around the Network

i think they should also make it for ps3 and xbox 360.

PSN ID: getrdone25

Maybe is the remake of Doom 2 :P

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Bah, Doom 3 was pretty bad and quake 4 was pretty mediocre. I can't day I'm extremely excited. We'll see though.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Id's work resume is laughable...they have done practically nothing since their first Doom. Just my 2 cents.

Around the Network

I could hardly bring myself to continue playing Doom 3 and with the exception of having a good lighting/shadow system, I wouldn't exactly say it had the best graphics at the time.

I wouldn't exactly say it had the best graphics at the time.

But it had. I mean it was the first engine to have really awesome normal lighting and specular highlighting which looked unbelievable on machinery (too bad they also used it to make shiny spots on people), the by far best shadows until then and great lighting. It was an awesome engine but a bit limited to spooky crammed levels.

they have done practically nothing since their first Doom

Apart from revolutionizing 3D games with the Quake engine. Being one of the two best multiplayer shooter developers (Quake3) having developed some of the best engines used in uncountable games (Quake3 engine, Doom3 engine) and having pioneered many of the graphic features we now take for granted.
Apart from these small things they have practically done nothing since Doom.

I am more excited for RAGE, which seems it could be an amazing game from them.

Kyros said:
I wouldn't exactly say it had the best graphics at the time.

But it had. I mean it was the first engine to have really awesome normal lighting and specular highlighting which looked unbelievable on machinery (too bad they also used it to make shiny spots on people), the by far best shadows until then and great lighting. It was an awesome engine but a bit limited to spooky crammed levels.

Um.... You only quoted that one part yet didn't quote the part where I said 'Apart from lighting/shadows'

While I didn't say it above, I was comparing Doom to Half-Life 2 and Far Cry and all of them came out in 2004 (March, August, and November).