By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Official MGS4 review Thread

^See what I mean? you're confused too. The MGO starter is confirmed to be included with MGS4! and still no mention of it by the reviewers, or is there? They should mention it and describe it. Maybe Konami asked the media not to consider the MGO starter for the reviews? or perhaps the media think of it as an added bonus and will wait for the "stand-alone" version (or for confirmation there will/won't be one) before reviewing it?

Around the Network

Metal Gear Online and Metal Gear Solid 4 are two different games, regardless if the starter pack is included.

^yeah, I believe that's right. Then why aren't we getting some reviews already for MGO?

Magnific0 said:
^yeah, I believe that's right. Then why aren't we getting some reviews already for MGO?

It's hard to review an online game when no one is online.

^ :P There should be plenty already, at least enough for a good review.

Around the Network
Magnific0 said:
rocketpig said:
Shameless said:
rocketpig said:
colonelstubbs said:
The story is easy to follow!

Something about clones....and....and arms....and....yeah

I love the arm bit. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when it happened in MGS2.

I mean, WTF, was Ocelot just wandering around Shadow Moses until he found Liquid's body, saying to himself "Ah, I'm missing a hand and this fella here doesn't seem to need his anymore", proceeding to chop off Liquid's arm and carry it away in a tote bag?

According to people that've played through the game there are good explanations for things like that in MGS4.

Oh boy, now I'm even more interested to play the game.

I like MGS for the same reasons I like Lost... If taken light-heartedly, impossible happenings, faux intrigue, and convoluted stories can be kinda fun even if the Cheese Meter shoots through the roof at points.

I have my theories about the arm. In the end I don't think it'll make sense, entirely (if Kojima cares to give some new info about that), I think that bit of the plot will remain farfetched as ever, but hopefully it'll have some logic.

Well, Ocelot is the son of The Boss and The Sorrow... The Sorrow could communicate with the dead (I loved that boss fight, even if it wasn't much of a fight) and Ocelot had a dead man's arm surgically attached to replace his own... that's all there really is to it, right?

^that would be the "mumbo jumbo part" of it, yeah. :P

But Liquid is not dead, and he is in fact controlling Ocelot and going after the Patriots, so he says. I think it's got something to do with nanomachines at some level.

Magnific0 said:
^that would be the "mumbo jumbo part" of it, yeah. :P

But Liquid is not dead, and he is in fact controlling Ocelot and going after the Patriots, so he says. I think it's got something to do with nanomachines at some level.

What? No. Liquid is dead. But through the whole communication with the dead mumbo jumbo, Liquid is able to control Ocelot. Liquid is going after the nanomachines so he can control soldiers in his bid to take out the Patriots.

Magnific0 said:
^See what I mean? you're confused too. The MGO starter is confirmed to be included with MGS4! and still no mention of it by the reviewers, or is there? They should mention it and describe it. Maybe Konami asked the media not to consider the MGO starter for the reviews? or perhaps the media think of it as an added bonus and will wait for the "stand-alone" version (or for confirmation there will/won't be one) before reviewing it?

EGM mentioned it in their non-review. Had a nice box about the beta and the starter pack.

Communicating and taking over his mind (including voice) are very different things. The fact is Liquid is alive, his genes and his consciousness. It's not some kind of spirit of Liquid that takes over Ocelot through his arm. I think Liquid had it all planned at some early stage since he discovered Ocelot was a Patriot spy, and it's very likely (hey, I'm speculating here, it's my theory) he arranged with Ocelot that if he died, Ocelot would take his body and become a carrier of Liquid's genes (through gene therapy), so that his genetic legacy would live on. After Ocelot lost his hand, maybe Liquid made the suggestion he could take his if things would go the wrong path, or maybe he didn't (offer the arm) and Ocelot just thought it was more than an appropiate and convenient way to carry on with the Les Enfant Terrible's genetic legacy. Of course Ocelot never suspected Liquid would use this to his advantage. What better way to get to the Patriots than through a Patriot's Spy? Ocelot dormant "necromantic" abilities would make it even easier for Liquid to get into his mind. How did Liquid make this possible? Was he able to "digitize" life a la Ghost in the Shell? I think he did, and nanotechology certainly played a part. One more thing: I wouldn't be surprised the Patriots themselves had a hand on Liquid's plan and they're just playing him (including getting him inside Ocelot). That's as far as my theory goes for the time being.