By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bluray vs hddvd - HD-DVD Buyers Beware

Great artile, read the whole damn thing.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/soapbox/soap060107.html

"And all of that experience tells us this: HD-DVD is not going to win this format war. In fact, one of two things is possible right now: Either Blu-ray will win, or neither format will win. But the best HD-DVD can hope for is to just keep hanging in the game as long as possible."

The two “Pirates” films sold a ,900 units 47,000 units, while the higher-priced “Matrix” sets sold about 13,900 units

Around the Network

An op-ed piece in reaction to another op-ed piece=sh*t about proving what will win.

When either format starts selling a million for a SINGLE TITLE, get back to me.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

In my opinion it seems rather likely that blu-ray will win. however I find it kind of early for this war to heat up anyway. Being that that there is not a whole lot to win. I can't see the point of investing in these players when they are more mainstream and when my local video store carries them.

LordTheNightKnight said:

An op-ed piece in reaction to another op-ed piece=sh*t about proving what will win.

When either format starts selling a million for a SINGLE TITLE, get back to me.

Yah I agree.  Not really worth even speculating on it right now.  Whichever one gets a player down below 200 bucks the fastest will win in the end imo.  That's what it took for VHS to get mass adoption and the same for DVD.

Why HD DVD is more technically advanced than Blu-ray

"HD DVD is clearly the more technically advanced format. It has had features for over a year now that BD still doesn't have, and isn't likely to have anytime soon."

http://blogs.msdn.com/andypennell/archive/2007/05/16/why-blu-ray-is-not-technically-advanced.aspx

Around the Network

Blu Ray will win, move on people, move on.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I dont think either will.

Within 3 years, we will have digital content delivery, THAT will be a threat to DVD, not "High Def Disks" no matter the format.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Blu Ray will win, move on people, move on.

My speculation is that Blu-Ray will first kill the PS3 and be losing the HD media format war to HD DVD afterwards.

This was posted on slashdot the other day and people pointed out that only an idiot would directly compare these two products ... Being that the Pirates movies are newer, are individually packaged at a lower price, and there is a brand new pirates movie in theaters with a huge marketing budget makes this a comparison of Apples to Monkeys.

The only time a comparison would make sense is if the same product is released on both formats for the same price; the only case of that I know of was a the Planet Earth BBC series and the only indication of sales for that has been eproductwars.com which has constantly had the HD-DVD version being ranked higher. Until we have a consistent set of data like this it will be difficult to see how the formats are really doing.

Quantum-Tarantino said:
I dont think either will.

Within 3 years, we will have digital content delivery, THAT will be a threat to DVD, not "High Def Disks" no matter the format.

yahh just like ppv killed dvd ?

can you maybe keep on topic.