By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
MrBubbles said:
shams said:

1/ Its the best (only?) digital weight tracking system ever created, that is easily available to the public.

2/ Its innovative, in that whereas there have been "pressure" controllers before - there has never really been a "balance" controller before.

4/ It DOES help lose weight AND build muscle. You are simply wrong in your comments. How so? Well, we could start a new thread based on this alone:

- its more convenient than going to the gym, less time wasting and a lot cheaper

- the user gets '1-1' feedback, rather than just being a single person in a workout class of 20 people

- by adding "game-ness" & "fun" to exercise, it encourages gamers to use it. This I think is the core element of it. Its intentionally part-game & part-exercise. If it was all-exercise, it would be a chore - rather than fun. If it was all-game, it wouldn't be different from anything else.

- the muscle exercises in the game are HARD, and DEFINITELY help build muscle. I have slowly been getting into them, because they actually intimidate me :P

More than anything else, the game helps with awareness - of diet, exercise, posture, balance (etc). I have found my habits are already changing thanks to WiiFit.

Will buying WiiFit turn you into a muscle man, or fitness junkie? No.

Wii buying (and using) WiiFit improve your fitness or health? If used regularly, almost definitely.

1- There are scales that track weight...

2- I believe there was one for the NES actually. the name of it eludes me atm though

4- my points still stand. you failed to illustrate how they were wrong. perhaps you missed some of my points, so please read through all my posts in this thread.

You failed to address the topic of the thread. whether or not wiifit is a fad.

1/ Not for multiple people, and show you nice graphs of progress over time vrs others, compared to your goals, etc.

2/ It wasn't a "balance" controller - just like DDR, I believe it just detects "presses" where you stand

4/ What points???

I had a look at some information about the game...all the activities within it appear to be fairly simple things which dont look very "fun" and wouldnt help someone lose weight or build muscle outside those with severe problems. 

Your opinion, but basically incorrect. 

most of the exercises can be done without its board. 

I miss your point. Of all the exercises in the game, only one doesn't use the board. You can say the same for any piece of gym or physical training equipment. That doesn't change the fact that WiiFit acts as a "compact gym".

bmi is notoriously unreliable. 

BMI has nothing to do with the game - like weight, its just an indicator. Some people want a high weight, some want a low weight. I personally ignore it completely, except for knowing that my BMI *is* too high (meaning I am overweight, which I am). 

yet people flock to this thing... 

Have people just been got up in hype? 

No, its a genuinely useful "tool", and a fun game. As I said - its WiiSports all over again, but for a different market. 

Will the success last or fade away shortly?  (if you own it, please state so before answering questions)

The Japanese sales say it all - if "longer legs than any game in the history of gaming" is "fade away soon", then maybe :P

Looks to me like you are "baselessly" attacking the game, and without even having played/used it. Any other "anti-WiiFit" points to make?

Its pretty amusing, that some of the old "WiiSports is a fad" arguments are now being recycled.

The REAL questions should be:

- is the game deep enough

- will non-gamers continue to use it over a long period of time

- can this have a "significant" impact of the average weight/fitness of a large % of the population, such that it makes a REAL difference to society?

In other news - I just read that one of the NSW (Sydney) state ministers has been talking to Ninty about getting WiiFit into schools...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

I think a fad is something that quickly becomes popular and goes away just as quickly. Is the DS a fad? I don't think so. Will Wii Fit be a fad. I doubt it as well. The question you should be asking is "Is Wii Fit a gimmick?" But then you would have to include many things as gimmicks such as Blu-ray, HD, rumble, etc. Wii Fit will be popular for at least a few years, so no I don't think it will fall into the fad category.

twesterm said:

The game is an exercise (a good one actually) and you do lose weight, increase balance, and even increase muscle.

Thank you for contributing :)

i didnt say it wouldnt do that. i believe you might have percieved something that wasnt meant by my use of "severe".  i believe i made post about how most people will fall into that category, so i think your perception of severe is just more severe than mine

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

shams said:

2/ It wasn't a "balance" controller - just like DDR, I believe it just detects "presses" where you stand

4/ What points???

I had a look at some information about the game...all the activities within it appear to be fairly simple things which dont look very "fun" and wouldnt help someone lose weight or build muscle outside those with severe problems. 

Your opinion, but basically incorrect. 

most of the exercises can be done without its board. 

I miss your point. Of all the exercises in the game, only one doesn't use the board. You can say the same for any piece of gym or physical training equipment. That doesn't change the fact that WiiFit acts as a "compact gym".

Have people just been got up in hype? 

No, its a genuinely useful "tool", and a fun game. As I said - its WiiSports all over again, but for a different market. 

Will the success last or fade away shortly?  (if you own it, please state so before answering questions)

The Japanese sales say it all - if "longer legs than any game in the history of gaming" is "fade away soon", then maybe :P

Looks to me like you are "baselessly" attacking the game, and without even having played/used it. Any other "anti-WiiFit" points to make?

Its pretty amusing, that some of the old "WiiSports is a fad" arguments are now being recycled.

The REAL questions should be:

- is the game deep enough

- will non-gamers continue to use it over a long period of time

- can this have a "significant" impact of the average weight/fitness of a large % of the population, such that it makes a REAL difference to society?

In other news - I just read that one of the NSW (Sydney) state ministers has been talking to Ninty about getting WiiFit into schools...

i found a youtube video about it(its not the mat)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybLf_g9VEPc

it was my perception from the information i reviewed...perhaps the issue is with my use of "severe" as well ?

from what i saw most of the use of the board was standing on it, stepping on it etc   which i dont really see comparable to most of the equipment you would find withing a gym.  my point was you could fairly easily do the activities around your house without the need for the board.  most gym equipment isnt as easily replaced.

thats a question and not a point. 

and thats a question as well.

they were my perceptions of information and videos i reviewed. if you see them as "attacks" or "anti wii fit", thats not my fault.  why are you so sensitive if someone expresses themselves?

dont know anything about that...wasnt part of any of those.

Thank you for deciding to add some more depth to the discussion.

i cant answer 2 of them , but imo i really dont see the possibility of any serious impact in even a moderate % of the population.  the sales of the wii and wii fit would need to increase drastically to reach a "large" % of the population.  i just dont see how they could reach sales for that. 

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

^ "severe"

Splitting hairs on semantics is a good sign there is something wrong with your argument.

Also, you falsely negated an important point. WiiFit is the best hardware and software weight tracking system available to the general public in an affordable price range. Nintendo themselves have pointed out this fact. Obviously they'd say this, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

In Japan this is a very sought after feature. People actually go crazy for this over there and post their daily weights on their blogs. 

Find me a better or similar system in the same price range that is available commercially. Cause I'd honestly be interested.

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:

Doesnt interest me and tbh im slightly baffled why others are.  I had a look at some information about the game...all the activities within it appear to be fairly simple things which dont look very "fun" and wouldnt help someone lose weight or build muscle outside those with severe problems.  most of the exercises can be done without its board.  bmi is notoriously unreliable.  yet people flock to this thing... 

Have people just been got up in hype?  Will the success last or fade away shortly?  (if you own it, please state so before answering questions)

TRANSLATES INTO

MrBubbles said:

I'm crying my ass off because the toy mom bought me isn't the best in the world anymore. All my friends from the fat club now goes at my neighbour to play Wii Fit instead of coming to my place :(

Is Wii Fit a fad and will my toy become more popular again or I am forced to beg my mom to buy me a Wii & Wii Fit ?

Honestly Fad or not does it really matter? Some of the most popular items of our times were Fads I'm looking at Beanie Babies and Furbies specifically. Two great selling items that people collected for years, sure they didn't stay in the levels as when they started but they still sell even today a decade+ later.

Why does everybody have it in them that fads are bad?

As far as Wii fit hype, yeah there's hype and yeah it's simple in general but since when is simple bad? Simple and boring are still two different words.

Things can be simple and still be fun, look at Wii and PS3, both are perfectly fine machines and do exactly what they say(though my personal opinion PS3 can have more games that are good but that again is only opinion I'm sure some people love it) that they will do.

I hate working out but WiiFit has actually somehow motivated me to do it more often than I have been. I'm not sure why but I WANT to do yoga seriously now, of course for the time being I'll use WiiFits Yoga to try it out some more before I make any major moves in life but since doing it my back and knee hurts less which is amazing.

Ah it's morning.
The sun is now rising.
The birds are chirping.
And now I get to top it off with the sweet cries of butthurt fanboys.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

There are plenty of infomertials out there for pieces of funny shaped plastic and oversized balls that are demonstrated by skinny toned blonde bimbos and Rambo like men all claming to help you lose pounds easy and give you the pysique you've always dreamt of.
These of course are purchased, used once then thrown in a corner never to be used again because they are boring to use and you do need a lot of willpower to realistically lose weight which is what a lot of people do not have,
Hopefully Fii-fit makes it a fun activity and gives you realistic goals to aim for but again if the willpower is not there it's back to sitting on your arse playing GTA and reaching for your forth doughnut!

The Wii Fit game maybe a fad to many people.
But the balance board is so good and offers so much potential for other games, it will never be a fad