By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oh yeah, this is the reason I don't miss arcades.

haha...there a some beer bottle around in this picture. I think we were just getting started when this picture was shot. By the end the whole place had bottles everywhere. Too bad you quit drinking...or congratulations!!!

I got the parts for the controller from an arcade store that repaired cabinets and they had original SFII parts for sale. I took a PS1 controller and soldered it to the microswitches for the buttons and joysticks. My brother did the wood work and cut the plexiglass.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network

Heh - my porch didn't have a fence on one side. Naturally, that was the only side I had neighbors on. So, to supplement the protection (and, um, privacy for things other than drinking) I stacked beer cans all along one side. Between my buddies and myself, we usually managed to re-build that five-foot fence with beer cans once every couple of weeks.

Good work on the controller. I wish that there were enough decent fighting games going around on the current-generation systems to justify pulling apart an XBox360 controller or a Sixaxis. It would be a fun challenge to get the wireless controllers in a real, honest joystick.

On a side note, I can't tell from the picture - did you install the thumbsticks anywhere, or just skip them altogether? Back when I was flirting with the idea of making my own, one of the things that made me wary of homemade joysticks was how many fighting games actually required the use of the thumbstick for navigating, say, a menu system, or activating certain codes or cheats (which I am not too proud to admit that I use liberally). I saw one online where the main joystick used the D-pad input, while the two thumbsticks of the controller (I think it was a PS1 controller) were right next to the start/select buttons, still in their original casing. It was odd to see a chunk of a PlayStation controller sticking out of the top of an arcade-style joystick, but it could have its uses.

-Darque

The original PS1 controller didn't have the analog thumbsticks. They didn't come along until later, so I didn't have to worry about those. It would be very difficult to transfer the thumbsticks to a joystick since they were analog. The only real way is the the way you mentioned it, with the thumbsticks intact. I was thinking of making a new one with the Classic controller for the Wii, without the thumbsticks.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Blex said:
dpmnymkrprez said:
Blex said:
Alacrist said:

There's a place in my city that has 360's/PS3's/Wii's/PS2's and PC's all in there to play it's pretty cool. It's like 7 bucks a hour unless your a member then it's 5 but you can play a PC all day for 25 and you can reserve parties there.

where i live at, its a place inside of the mall called gamefrog. they have everything there.

it does have every console there and a huge selection of the best online games to rent and play inside of the store. plus there are huge wide screen HD tvs. the place is top notch

That place sounds cool!!.PS you like the Mii's I have sent you??

i dont how you're able to think of mii's like that but theyre very creative.

they kick ass

I guess left handed people tend to be creative, Have i sent you Darth Maul yet?? I can only send 20 mii's per day and try to get as many of them to my friends as possible

I miss my arcade..people were paying me to finish SFA 3 with their favorite character.. Stupid greek law against gambling.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Around the Network

Mortal Kombat was better.

FINISH HIM!!!!

But seriously. There is a bit too much fanboy fighting at times. Did you actually see fist fights over a stupid game?

Superchunk: Yes, I did. I saw one kid rip a good-sized chunk of hair and scalp off another kid's head. I saw two bloody noses one day, and shortly thereafter, their friends came back to "settle things." Luckily, the police were still around - and confiscated baseball bats, mostly, but also a can of Mace and a small pocketknife. And that was just the Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat fanboys - I'm not even counting the boyfriend/girlfriend fights, the "you're a cheap player" fights, the "you looked at me the wrong way" fights, and the fights that just didn't have a purpose in the first place. Humans are violent little primates.

To tell the truth, years later, I worked as a bouncer at a strip club, and I never saw the kind of customer-fighting that I did at the arcade. See what I'm getting at here? Kids fighting over whose video game is better can be more dangerous than an entire bar full of drunken bikers and naked women. Yeah, really. (Which is too bad, in a way - at the bar, at least I was allowed to crack some skulls. If I tried that at the arcade, the police would've been carting me away, too.)

If you don't believe me, just look at how tempers flare on here when someone starts in with the "PS3 sucks," or "wii is teh fail" nonsense. Now imagine that there isn't a computer separating people, but they're actually standing close enough to smell each others' breath when they're throwing insults at each others' systems of choice. If this wasn't the internet, this place would be a constant brawl.

Now, I'm not the kind of roughneck I used to be. I grew up, went to school, got a real job. And while I won't say anything so trite as "violence never solves anything," I will say that violence never wins an argument. Wins fights, sure - if you can call the person taken in the cop car instead of the ambulance the winner - but never wins an argument. Especially any argument that can't be won in the first place, and therefore never needs to be argued in the first place.

I know a lot of you guys have never been in a fight. Maybe a schoolyard scrap here and there, but never a real fight-for-your-life kind of brawl where people are trying to gouge out your eyeballs and break your hands and choke the life out of you. How can I tell? Because those of you who really contribute the most to those childish arguments are far too confrontational, too willing to insult, too ready to get personal, to have ever actually fought for their lives. I'm not saying that you should have to fight for your lives... just that I wish you folks could understand what that sort of hate-breeding leads to.

Like I said, I went to law school, and sometime in the next year or so, I'll finally be working at a DA's office. I'll be prosecuting criminal cases. I'm already in the courts now, but soon I'll be the trial attorney who gets to put people into prison for decades at a time. It's a heavy responsibility, and one that I take real seriously. And the last thing I ever want to see on my schedule is a trial for a kid that beat up some other kid just because he said he liked the XBox360... largely because everyone at work knows that I'm a big video gamer, too. (See, I'm not getting all mushy here. It's purely selfish, I assure you.)

-Darque

Darque maybe the forum members should just meet in a central location (Kansas?) and duke it out. Then we would know which console is the best.

No guns allowed though guys, thx.