By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Wii and Ps3 going at it for a decade. 360 too? How will the sales go?

Darc Requiem said:
TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:
Neither the Xbox 360 nor the PS3 will last as long as the PS2 has. At the end of the day, what kept the PS2 going was it's immense userbase, library and exclusive third party support, none of which are assets held by Microsoft or Sony this generation.

The concept that somehow their "powerful" tech will keep them relevant is equally ridiculous, as both consoles have been long surpassed by gaming PC's, and from the Wii we can see that the broader gaming community doesn't give a rats about horsepower.

Most PS2 sales are at $179.00 and below. So until the PS3 gets to that price, we have no idea how the market will go.

Either that market will be already consumed with the Wii, and they won't want a PS3, or they will see the PS3 as an upgrade to the Wii, and the masses will come.

The PS3 also is the best BR player on the market, and that will effect sales.

The 360 needs to both cost less, and overcome it;s hardware issues. Once it has done that, the above applies to it as well.

As far as the PC surpassing the PS3, the PS2 was far less powerful then a high end PC the day it was released. The fact that the PS3 and the 360 ever were more powerful then a PC was an anomaly. 

By the time th PS3 reaches that price the generation will be nearly over, not only that the Wii and 360 will hit that price point before the PS3.

and the Ps3 still beats the 360 week in and week out with it being cheaper.... your point?

Around the Network
PooperScooper said:
Darc Requiem said:
TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:
Neither the Xbox 360 nor the PS3 will last as long as the PS2 has. At the end of the day, what kept the PS2 going was it's immense userbase, library and exclusive third party support, none of which are assets held by Microsoft or Sony this generation.

The concept that somehow their "powerful" tech will keep them relevant is equally ridiculous, as both consoles have been long surpassed by gaming PC's, and from the Wii we can see that the broader gaming community doesn't give a rats about horsepower.

Most PS2 sales are at $179.00 and below. So until the PS3 gets to that price, we have no idea how the market will go.

Either that market will be already consumed with the Wii, and they won't want a PS3, or they will see the PS3 as an upgrade to the Wii, and the masses will come.

The PS3 also is the best BR player on the market, and that will effect sales.

The 360 needs to both cost less, and overcome it;s hardware issues. Once it has done that, the above applies to it as well.

As far as the PC surpassing the PS3, the PS2 was far less powerful then a high end PC the day it was released. The fact that the PS3 and the 360 ever were more powerful then a PC was an anomaly. 

By the time th PS3 reaches that price the generation will be nearly over, not only that the Wii and 360 will hit that price point before the PS3.

and the Ps3 still beats the 360 week in and week out with it being cheaper.... your point?

I see no proof, but i do see biased opinions.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

And for those holding out or saying there is going to be a Wii 2, well most likely not. I don't think NIntendo is trying to create a brandname in Wii, but a brandname in Nintendo. That's what the DS did. Nintendo actually probably drifted away from calling the Nintendo DS the Gameboy whatever because brand was more on Gameboy rather than Nintendo. Which can be bad for software and bad for competition. You want your company's name to be the brand and they buy what you make. Sony may find this to be a problem in a few years if they don't win this generation cause PSP could drag the PS3 down with it due to similar brandname.

Thus with Nintendo they'll probably once again rename their console like they've done almost every generation. So we'll temporarily call it N6, the earlies codename possible.

so... that explains why it is called the "nintendo" wii..... hmmmm.... interesting.
why doesn't MS call the xbox the "microsoft" xbox 360??? seems stupid that they don't..... maybe it would take to long to say or something?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

None of them will have 10 years lifetime.

X360 I think 7.5 or 8 years.
Wii 8 years
PS3 8 years

Oh yeah, and total lifetime sales:

X360: 50 million

Wii: 140-180 million

Ps3: 70 million 

Around the Network

No console this generation is going to run for 10 years. The only reason we've seen 10 year runs in the past is because the console was completely dominant. The Wii doesn't qualify because in five years, everyone is going to be looking for high definition, which the console doesn't provide. On top of that, Nintendo isn't known for supporting their old consoles at the expense of their new console. They're conservative and they're smart enough to not ride the Wii for too long. Expect a replacement in 2011 or 2012.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Zucas said:
Wii can't last 10 yrs, nor would Nintendo allow it that long anyways. Wii is sorta an intermediate console for Nintendo. Meaning it's goal is to flip things around and put things back on its side. From a strategy point of view of course. Then as soon as it's certain this has happened and Wii has secured the front, Nintendo comes out, before the competition, and completely takes the next generation, which then they'll hold out for 10 yrs.

I agree with the bolded part. I couldn't disagree more with the other part.

Nintendo has the reins. There is no reason for them to create a "10 year" console when they created a hot $250 product that can be refreshed every 5 years... Unless you think the iPod model is wrong.

Nintendo has stolen much of Apple's product model over the past few years. That excites me and scares me at the same time. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

That excites me and scares me at the same time.

Like that time you saw that clown with the nice ass at the circus?

The dedication you show to any particular console or company is inversely proportional to the number of times you have gotten laid. If you get laid enough, even if you prefer a certain brand, you just don't give enough of a shit to argue about it on the internet.

Since the Wii is more successful out the gate than any other Nintendo system before it, I can see its successor coming out late 2011, or even 2012, depending on if the PS3 has a successor coming in as well by that time.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

If the Wii suddenly stops selling it won´t last 10 years but if it doesn´t stop selling (which it won´t) it will be selling that long as it probably will be the console winner.

If the PS 3 starts getting up their sales it will have a good chance at selling for 10 years and even if it doesn´t they still have a good chance of the 10 year plan because of bluray.

The xbox is the one that is most unlikely to have a long life like that but I truly hope that they will acchieve this.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.