By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Energy solution for the U.S.?

Here's the real solution for the American energy crisis, it would slim down its population (making them consume less fuel because of the reduced weight).

from http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/pedal-powered-electricity-generator-windstream/

Pedal Powered Elctricity Generator from Windstream

November 8th, 2006

The pedal powered generator from Windstream is perfect for emergencies, power failures, remote locations, and off-grid applications. It can be pedaled or cranked by hand to charge 12 volt batteries and run small appliances. The typical average continuous power that can be generated by pedaling the Human Power Generator is up to about 80 watts. The maximum power obtainable through hand cranking typically is about 50 watts. The pedals and optional hand-cranks are interchangeable. Re-engineered for more strength, easier adjustment, and smooth operation, the new MkIII Human Power Generator is the tool for energy education and self-reliant electrical production.

Back in the ’70s, if Sheila Kerr wanted to watch television she had to work for it. Her inventor father rigged the TV to a generator powered by a bicycle. “If I wanted to see ‘The Dukes of Hazzard,’ I had to pedal,” Kerr said recalling her favorite show with a laugh. Today Kerr still is pushing pedals, but not to see Luke Duke or Boss Hogg. She’s head of sales and marketing for Windstream Power LLC, founded by her father, Colin Kerr. She sells human-powered generators all over the world.

Some might be powering TVs but they are also powering lights and appliances for foresters in camps in Siberia, “off-grid” homesteaders in Alaska, even owners of ocean-going boats. With increasing awareness about the effects of global warming and skyrocketing energy costs, human-generated power is gaining attention again. Windstream is well positioned to take center stage as one of the only established makers of human-powered generators. In April, Windstream was acquired by Bowles Corp., a North Ferrisburgh environmental engineering company, providing Windstream with engineering expertise and financial backing.

Bowles does oil-spill recovery through subsidiary Clean Earth Technology and makes an ultrasound watt meter used in ultrasound imaging machines. “I’ve been for years and years looking for the third leg of the stool,” said Dave Bowles, president. Windstream turned out to be the answer, although at first he wondered about the market for human-powered generators. As Bowles learned more about them, he saw possibilities.

Windstream makes two types of human-powered generators. One uses a bicycle crank assembly attached to a chain and a fixed gear that charges a 12-volt battery by hand cranking or by pedaling. The other is a bicycle training stand that hooks up to a bicycle. The charged battery, with the help of an inverter, becomes a power source for a variety of needs from a laptop computer to a light bulb to an appliance.

The idea for a pedal-powered generator grew out of a wind turbine generator Windstream developed that was designed to perform in adverse conditions. The Helius, still in use today, was attached to the top of buoys in the ocean generating power for underwater research equipment.

After the Helius was on the market, requests began to come in from boaters who wanted to generate power without having to rely on their diesel engines. The pedal-power generator was introduced in 1978. Windstream’s generators are marketed to schools and museums that use them to demonstrate how much human exertion it takes to make power, something most of us have little awareness of, noted Dave Melichar, an engineer with Windstream.

“There’s a huge lack of knowledge in our community and society about how much we consume and what it takes to produce it,” Melichar said. The generators aren’t cheap. The pedal crank sells for $497. The bicycle trainer setup costs $558, without the bike. The battery packs cost $397 but are sold at a discount when paired with the generators, Kerr said.

In addition to educational uses, they are popular in places without reliable electricity, like Zimbabwe, where there is four hours a day of electricity and that seems to be waning, Kerr said. People who intentionally live “off the grid” without electricity in remote places such as Siberia and Alaska, also buy them, Kerr said. The company enjoyed a bump in business in 1999 from people worried about failure of the grid at the turn of the century, she said.

Kerr is excited to have the company in a situation where it can grow. Already, Windstream’s battery pack has been streamlined and made more portable. Sales have doubled this year. Windstream hasn’t advertised in years, relying on the internet to bring in customers. Googling “human-powered generator” brings up the company’s name, not because it has paid for that, but because Windstream is one of the few places in the world to buy one.

Inventor Colin Kerr, who has officially retired, arguably was ahead of his time when he hooked up the family TV to a bicycle three decades ago. Things may be finally be changing, however. “In the early ’70s there was a sudden awareness that other sources of energy were called for because of the oil crisis,” Kerr said. “It takes a few rounds before society gets it. We’ve already had a few.”

Around the Network

@largedarryl
And exactly how many nuclear power plants do you think it would take to remove the need for coal and oil power plants? 1000? 10000?

Where's the money going to come from to pay for those plants? I'm not trying to say that an alternative isn't required, but nuclear power plants aren't likely to be the answer this late in the game. Maybe if they'd been producing nuclear plants for the last 30 years but I don't see how they could produce enough plants in NA to fulfill all the energy needs soon enough to make an appreciable difference.

As for the cleanliness, I have to admit I don't have specific knowledge of the waste by-products, but I know enough about how nuclear power plants work to assume that it can't be trivial.

That pedal idea is pretty good. Put to use all those prisoners you guys have in jails. 8 hour shifts at the pedals!

Also you only have to pay for the pedal! Then the energy you get is completely free! (well, at the cost of your own energy, but excercise makes you healthy!)

US energy production was 4 Trillion kW/h in 2005. (4 000GigaW/H)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/print/us.html

An Advanced CANDU reactor, chosen because it is Canadian made :), produces 1.2 GigaW/H
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_CANDU_Reactor

So it would take 3 333 CANDU reactors to meet 2005 production.

Around the Network

Let's just hope that the experimental fusion reactor in France (ITER) is a success. It seems to work for the sun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER
It's definitely a long term project jointly funded by many countries. In the UK there seems to have been a big backlash against biofuels as it seems immense tracts of land need to be cleared to grow the crops. Gas prices here have risen rapidly and now stand at about $8.50 a gallon.

Cool, thanks Dogs Rule!

So the question is now, if you wanted to build those 3333 CANDU reactors, how long would it take, how much would it cost, and where would you get all the materials for doing it (and where would you put them all).

*edit: I don't know about you, but I vote somewhere other than near me.

I don't think it's a very good idea to go and replace all the old coal reactors (nuclear is still far cheaper than any other power generation)

They are currently building new coal power plants all the time, when they could be building fewer nuclear power plants.

Since you can admit you are not really familiar with present day nuclear power, there have been more than 50 years of technological progress since the "dangerous" power plants were constructed. Current power plants are incapable of meltdown due to the way the nuclear reactions takes place. I'm still really bothered by the amount of misinformation and fear-mongering that occurred during the cold war days, and how much of that carried over today.

The unfortunate problem with fusion reactors is even if the tests go good in France, the actual implementation of such a power plant is still 15+ years away.

If you ever want to get really mad and/or depressed, read this whole article, or at least skim over the 891750195 billion different types of renewable energy sources that we should/could be using.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy

largedarryl said:
I don't think it's a very good idea to go and replace all the old coal reactors (nuclear is still far cheaper than any other power generation)

They are currently building new coal power plants all the time, when they could be building fewer nuclear power plants.

Since you can admit you are not really familiar with present day nuclear power, there have been more than 50 years of technological progress since the "dangerous" power plants were constructed. Current power plants are incapable of meltdown due to the way the nuclear reactions takes place. I'm still really bothered by the amount of misinformation and fear-mongering that occurred during the cold war days, and how much of that carried over today.

The unfortunate problem with fusion reactors is even if the tests go good in France, the actual implementation of such a power plant is still 15+ years away.

Um, wrong, nuclear energy is one of the most expensive ways to produce power.  Granted, if you look at just the price of uranium and using it, it's pretty cheap.  However, you can't ignore the massive cost of constructing and maintaining a nuclear power plant along with transporting all the necessary materials and storing the radioactive waste.  It's more expensive than coal and oil currently (I'm taking this straight out of Living in the Environment, Twelth Edition).  If it wasn't for government funding and subsidies, no nuclear power plants would have succeeded economically.  There's a reason no new nuclear power plants have been ordered in the United states since 1978.