By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Second MGS4 review in -score 92 "story too complex"

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=405557

The reviewer deducted points for the story being too complex, and for there being too much shooting.

A poster on Neogaf who has read the review also said there were points deducted for the game repeating the same mistakes made in MGS2.

The magazine is a casual only magazine BTW.

This is awesome for MGS2 fans like me, I was worried the story might be dumbed down like MGS3's. 

Around the Network

Story too complex? Oh come on similar reasons why they marked down on NMH. Said not understandable cause it was punk. Well if they'd fucking understand punk before passing judgement then there wouldn't be a problem. God I hate reviewers.

The cons are more like positives.

Zucas said:
Story too complex? Oh come on similar reasons why they marked down on NMH. Said not understandable cause it was punk. Well if they'd fucking understand punk before passing judgement then there wouldn't be a problem. God I hate reviewers.

Complex stories are not necessarily a good or a bad thing, but depending on why they're complex may make it a good or a bad thing ...

In general, I tend to prefer simple plot lines where the complexity in the story comes from character development. As an example of what I mean, the story line of any of the Star Wars prequels is far more complicated than the stories of the original trillogy, but (in my opinion) the original trillogy is far better because the lack of complicated story details allowed characters to be developed fully.

Movies like Van Helsing and Wild Wild West often seem much more silly than movies with a similar tone, like the Mummy, mainly because their story is so complicated that it destroys any believeability.

billy07 said:
The cons are more like positives.

Lol, I couldn't agree more. 

A complex story is a dream come true.  I'm so sick of the "mindless" shooter games or the pre-school casual games.

A complex game with some depth sounds like a breath of fresh air.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Zucas said:

Complex stories are not necessarily a good or a bad thing, but depending on why they're complex may make it a good or a bad thing ...

In general, I tend to prefer simple plot lines where the complexity in the story comes from character development. As an example of what I mean, the story line of any of the Star Wars prequels is far more complicated than the stories of the original trillogy, but (in my opinion) the original trillogy is far better because the lack of complicated story details allowed characters to be developed fully.

Movies like Van Helsing and Wild Wild West often seem much more silly than movies with a similar tone, like the Mummy, mainly because their story is so complicated that it destroys any believeability.

yea, but movies like "LA Confidential" are far better because they are complex. It all depends on how they do it.

Oh, and wth does to much shooting mean?

That's like deducting points from SMG because there is to much star collecting.

I just finished MGS2 yesterday. Loved the game. Loved the story too, even if it is a bit...over done (because it's still not as bad as the vast majority of JRPGs). Can't wait for MGS4.

TheRealMafoo said:
HappySqurriel said:
Zucas said:

yea, but movies like "LA Confidential" are far better because they are complex. It all depends on how they do it.

I don't disagree that when well done a complicated story can be great ... I won't get into it too much, but I have always felt that the "Great" storytelling in a lot of games like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy is far closer to Van Helsing or Transformers than to good literature or movies.

TheRealMafoo said:
Oh, and wth does to much shooting mean?

That's like deducting points from SMG because there is to much star collecting.

Actually, it's a pretty good reason to deduct since MGS isn't a shooter.