By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will we get 1080P as a standard?

In a racing game, 60fps is mandatory. The cars travel too much distance down the straightaways for 30fps to work well. The extreme twitch nature of the genre also mandates a higher framerate.

Absolutely true! a 30fps racing game is not a high end racing game. That's simply a fact. In fact, with Forza 2 the physics rate is 360 times per second. This means your car may be traveling less than foot each increment when physics is calculated, rather than traveling about 5 feet (at 60fps), or about 10 feet at 30 fps. Do you really think your car's physics should be updated every 10 feet?

My calculations were done at 200mph, but if you change it to 100mph then you can divide the distances by 2. You can see that 60 calculations per second is the bare minimum, even if you don't mind getting 30fps (and a hardcore race fan will mind).

Then again, if you want fast times in GT5:P, you have to bounce off of the walls. That's already proven.

Around the Network
rudyrsr8 said:
1080p wont be a standard until PS5 since average households do not have it and even at best estimates in five years only 53% of TVs sold would be would have any HDTV, besides the costs for developers shys away from such an incorporation.

I think that those studies mean that 53% of households have a HDTV by then (720p or 1080p). At least here in Finland, most retailers don't even sell SDTV's anymore. And if you find them, those few are mostly very small (under 21"). Most of them are 720p though.

@Untamoi

Yes sorry i ment the US sorry for the confusion, in practicality terms 1080p as a standard is still a way away.

"Like you know"

Nickelbackro said:
rocketpig said:
MikeB said:
@ rocketpig

I think that's a solid enough case to state that neither of the consoles are fully capable of running a proper 1080p game right now.

Stating "proper 1080p game" is pretty subjective. Is GT5:P's 60 FPS proper or would a soild 30 FPS also be considered to be proper?

The end results are which matter the most. There will always be texture quality related sacrifices and trade-offs for top games nomatter the used resolution on the current gen consoles and PCs. If it's not the issue of feeding the required data fast enough, it can be storage space related for large games which are aiming for much graphics diversity.

In a racing game, 60fps is mandatory. The cars travel too much distance down the straightaways for 30fps to work well. The extreme twitch nature of the genre also mandates a higher framerate.

Besides, we've been over it a million times now. GT5:P is not full 1080p... I refuse to accept something being called 1080p when it's being upscaled on a 1080p monitor.

Trade-offs will always be made and right now, some developers are having a hard time hitting 720p in some high-profile games, much less 1080p. I don't think that will change much as the generation matures. We'll probably see pretty much everybody focus in on 720p with the occasional developer shooting for the moon with a full 1080p game.

Oh gosh it's the GT 5:p 1080p arguement again featuring rocketpig, everyone run!

If Mike would stop stating falsehoods about the game, you would never hear me mention it. I think it's been proven that resolution doesn't matter for shit. AA, framerate, textures, etc. are far more important to how a game looks.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@ RocketPig

1080i is an interlaced format and the same rules don't apply to it.

From a product review.

"This camcorder records 1080p at 1440x1080 and then encodes it using a non-square pixel aspect ratio to obtain a 16:9 display aspect ratio. It should be noted that this is a common practice with other camcorders as well."

Aiptek 1080p camcorder

If Mike would stop stating falsehoods about the game, you would never hear me mention it

Look I stated the game is 1080p, I didn't claim it's FullHD. Please stay cool, in that other discussion you resorted to personal attacks and insults, why not stay calm and polite like me (it's just technical stuff anyhow)? We differ in opinion (and I am in fact right ).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@ TheBigFatJ

Well, the 360 is quite a bit more powerful than the PS3, in terms of fillrate this is inarguable.

The GPU fillrate is comparable, however the Cell is better suited to take upon itself some fillrate and other GPU related tasks making the whole much greater than the sum of the parts. So IMO it's best to compare system vs system instead of just system component vs system component.

This not because any PS3 component would be inferior. The RSX is better specced than the Xenos in many regards, but it's the Cell which really makes the PS3 so much more powerful with regard to long term, pushing the system's potential well beyond what can be achieved on the 360 with regard to game performance, at least when looking at how all the components all come together in the system.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales