By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did Japan like Blue Dragon?

A year late question i just wanted to know. Did Japan actually like Blue Dragon game? I honestly thought it was pretty good, but is this a series that people(specificly Japanese) would buy a 360 for?

Around the Network

Yes, they did but because it was on the Xbox360, it didn't sell a lot. Well, not as much as it would have if it was released on the Wii or PS3. I think I remember the game sold some Xbox360s.

The very hardcore gamers liked it...

And the sales weren't bad.

But I think you are asking a difficult question...

When will Japan likes a game or not? Huge sales = like?

BLue Dragon ===== Dragon quest for M$

Lost Oddesy ===== Final Fantasy

if you look at their success they did not match up to their inspirations

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
BLue Dragon ===== Dragon quest for M$

Lost Oddesy ===== Final Fantasy

if you look at their success they did not match up to their inspirations
But u have to think this way Darth. When people bought BD and LO, they were not sure if it was good or not, while FF guaruntees a good game if not great. Once BD3 or LO3(if is a sequel  to this game, i am still playing it) people will probably be more likely to buy it, but you're right. These two series will never be better than FF and Dragon Quest.

Around the Network

I think the better question is...did Japan like the Godzilla movie Americans made in 1998. Cause we thought it sucked...

Considering Blue Dragon revived the 360 and allowed it to surpass the Xbox, almost entirely by itself...Yes, they liked it.

Blue Dragon sold well over 200,000 units in its lifetime, and had a 50% attach ratio for quite some time. The 360 sold somewhere near 100,000 units in a month after BD launched. Considering what the 360 sold in that previous November, that was huge.

But ultimately, there weren't a ton of uber-Japanese games to follow up on it, and the 360 sales have stagnated since.

Lost Odyssey, despite the fact was much better recieved in the West, never got traction - and I seriously blame Microsoft marketing. There was a huge PR blitz for Blue Dragon, but nowhere near as much in the East for LO...That was the reason, IMO.

Still though, LO has sold well over 100,000 units, and we don't know where it's at now. Definately won't reach BD in Japan, but it could sell 150,000.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@mrstickball

I thought it could just be because BD seemd like Dragon Quest which is the RPG of choice between FF n DQ
______-

@wareagle

I guess so

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

mrstickball said:
Considering Blue Dragon revived the 360 and allowed it to surpass the Xbox, almost entirely by itself...Yes, they liked it.

Blue Dragon sold well over 200,000 units in its lifetime, and had a 50% attach ratio for quite some time. The 360 sold somewhere near 100,000 units in a month after BD launched. Considering what the 360 sold in that previous November, that was huge.

But ultimately, there weren't a ton of uber-Japanese games to follow up on it, and the 360 sales have stagnated since.

Lost Odyssey, despite the fact was much better recieved in the West, never got traction - and I seriously blame Microsoft marketing. There was a huge PR blitz for Blue Dragon, but nowhere near as much in the East for LO...That was the reason, IMO.

Still though, LO has sold well over 100,000 units, and we don't know where it's at now. Definately won't reach BD in Japan, but it could sell 150,000.
Lost Odyssey sold better in America though.  The sales numbers prove there was and still is a market for JRPGs on the 360.

Yes they liked it because for a 360 game in Japan it was well received. If you were to compare it to anything else (i.e reaction to an FF or DQ game) then no it was a failure, but that's a pretty unfair comparison (comparing established franchises to something new).