By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OoT is about to become again the best game ever according to GameRankings

If you want to lay this to rest and have time it's easy.
Take the 32 sites that reviewed OoT.
Average the score they gave to GTA4 ( those that gave it a score at least).
See if it's higher or lower...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

Nice subtle avatar change, TWRoO.

I guess that's your new age, so happy belated birthday!

You really can't trust many of the reviews from the 32-64 bit era. If you look within them you'll notice many reviews came years after the game's release. Mario 64's latest review is from 2006, Ocarina just got a new review last month, Soul Calbir has reviews from 2004, Tekken 3 has some from 2004, etc. etc. There's two problems with this. One is that any review taking place 6-10 years after the game's release will almost surely have some sort of nostalgia goggles effect added. Secondly, with the small amount of reviews already attached to them, these retro reviews added dramatically affect scores sometimes.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=25645
Oot is nowhere near the best game ever, and neither GTAIV.

Onyxmeth said:
You really can't trust many of the reviews from the 32-64 bit era. If you look within them you'll notice many reviews came years after the game's release. Mario 64's latest review is from 2006, Ocarina just got a new review last month, Soul Calbir has reviews from 2004, Tekken 3 has some from 2004, etc. etc. There's two problems with this. One is that any review taking place 6-10 years after the game's release will almost surely have some sort of nostalgia goggles effect added. Secondly, with the small amount of reviews already attached to them, these retro reviews added dramatically affect scores sometimes.
Nostalgia it may be, but the fact remains that those who did review the game right when it came out, gave it perfect scores. (including 10/10 from both Gamespot and IGN). It is definately worthy of it's spot and the fact that most review sites STILL consider it the best game ever made is no easy feat. GTA 4 will be forgotten in time, but OoT is eternal. 

Around the Network
DragonLord said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

OoT only had 32 reviews so it is not a fair comparison with games with over 50 reviews.

I think I have to somewhat agree with this even though I don't think GTAIV is the "greatest" game of all time.

You can't MEANINGFULLY compare scores of a modern game to an ancient game. Shit changes. The # of reviewers, the types of games, and the review methods. It's not meaningful to base the "greatest" game of all time based off 32 reviews.

(But with that said, I still don't think GTAIV is worthy of greatest game of all time either)

No one ever listens to the guy explaining the math behind everything =(

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Ail said:
If you want to lay this to rest and have time it's easy.
Take the 32 sites that reviewed OoT.
Average the score they gave to GTA4 ( those that gave it a score at least).
See if it's higher or lower...

Or they could just have fun with their games. Okay, that's making it simple. For them, it's never easy.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I really don't think it matters what gamerankings or Metacritic show. I mean we all know GTA IV can't even compare to OoT in anyway whatsoever and that the reason its even up there is the fall of proffessional reviewing as we know so why should we care.

Zucas said:
I really don't think it matters what gamerankings or Metacritic show. I mean we all know GTA IV can't even compare to OoT in anyway whatsoever and that the reason its even up there is the fall of proffessional reviewing as we know so why should we care.

That's purely your personal opinion. All you are saying is that you like the review reviewers gave OoT but don't like the one they gave GTA4.

Either you ditch reviews as a whole or you don't but don't start picking the one you like :P

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

What review site nailed the PS3 version down? Also why does GameRankings Track half those sites. i never heard of half of them.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453