By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can the 360 really live that long!

Joelcool7 said:

Shane Kim the head of Microsoft Game Studios has gone on the record today that Microsoft's X-Box 360 will have a minimum lifespan of 7 years. (Source) Shane said "“Clearly we didn't do that with the original Xbox, which was a strategic decision we made. Admittedly, we don't have any experience doing this, but we're pretty confident 360 will have a long tail.”

Seriously Microsoft intentionally and strategically shortened the X-Box's lifespan. Does anybody actually believe that Microsoft intentionally failed to keep the X-Box platform alive? We do know that Microsoft pushed for the release of the X-Box 360 before its competitors could launch theirs. However consoles like PS2/GameCube are still availible in some stores. But X-Box has been gone for a very long time, yeah some software is still availible but no hardware.

Could Microsoft have really kept the X-Box alive longer then its 5-years (4-Year life cycle)?

With the X-Box 360 only a few years old and a new generation expected about 2011 can we really expect to see the 360 live much longer then that? Once the next generation of consoles launch will the 360 have the user base to maintain its prescense into 2013-2014.

Considering 2010-2011 is when the next generation of consoles are expected to debut. The PS2 has been able to survive over 7 years but it has over 120-million units sold can the 360/PS3/Wii even possibly reach that number and survive a wave of next generation consoles in 2010? 

Bolded:

They did intentionally fail to keep the Xbox alive. Being n00bs to the hardware industry, Microsoft signed some very bad contracts with Nvidia and Intel. Those contracts pretty much ensured that MS would never stop losing money on the console, forcing MS to turn to IBM/ATI and get the 360 rolling faster than they initially anticipated.

I fully expect MS to keep the 360 around longer than 5 years. I think they'll release a new console in year five or six but they'll probably keep the 360 going for a year or two after that point. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

I think they will make it last. I don't think a new console from any one of the three will arrive before 2012. The 360 is making a profit and the PS3 will soon as well (if it isn't already) after expensive launches there's no way Sony and Microsoft will cut the legs out from under themselves just to repeat it all over again. Nintendo will have the Wii out for as long as they possibly can they've been making money from the start they will let it roll in as long as possible.

The best answer I can think of is "it depends" ...

The leading console tends to have a long life because (regardless of what happens) third party publishers see value in producing games for 10 years (or more). Trailing consoles tend to have trouble maintaining support from third party publishers after 4 or 5 years because development resources have to be redirected towards new consoles (and typically come at the expense of the trailing consoles).

Now as long as Nintendo and Sony see no need to release new consoles, and no new company (Apple, Google, etc.) enters into the market I think the XBox 360 can last 7 years ...

If Microsft wants to keep ahead of competition and stay relevant then they have no choice but to release consoles in 5 year spans,ahead of Sony and Nintendo otherwise they will get blown out.

Unlike the original XBOX the 360 is making money on the hardware. So probably around November 2011 the next Xbox will release. Unlike this go around MS will continue to produce and sell the Xbox 360 and provide software support. Hoping that the profits of the 360 offset the initial losses of the next Xbox. A release in 2011 will be 6 years before a new Xbox is released and probably a year (maybe 2) before the PS4.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network

i think the xbox 360 will have a 7 year lifespan, but not everywhere in the world. I think they will find it more profitable to exit some of their weaker markets by 2010.

I don't think market will need a new console by 2010. So the only question is 2011 or 2012?

2011 is my guess. In any case, I don't need to worry about this as xbox 360 has plenty of kickass games coming this and next year.

This time MS will have to keep the 360 alive even after the new Xbox will have been released (which I assume to happen in 2011). The PS3 won't be as weak as the PS2 was when the 360 launched, and the 360 will be in a much better position than the original Xbox was. So I think it's possible.

NEXT XBOX 2011 NEXT PS 2012

Yes

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all- you live in the heart of the beast." 

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.