By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTAIV Owns Mario Kart Wii

So despite the fact that Mario Kart Wii is available in all major regions now, and GTAIV is yet to hit Japan (where it will have strong if not amazing sales), it is clear that Mario Kart has taken a major beating.

1)

Worldwide, GTAIV (combined) sells close to twice as much in its first week on sale than Mario Kart's current total.

2)

In the US, the PS3 version of GTAIV alone sells more than Mario Kart Wii in the region, despite the fact that there are about 6 million more Wiis out there.  360 sales just blow it away.

3)

In Others, the PS3 version almost sells more in the first week than a full 4 weeks of Mario Kart Wii sales.  This time with about 3 million more Wii owners out there.

Wow.

So did Nintendo's strategy of deliberately going almost head to head with the biggest HD mulitplatform game to date work?

Did the launch of Mario Kart Wii actually take gamers away from GTAIV, or would it have performed better if it were released during a less competitive period?

Is Mario Kart Wii supply constraint? 

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network
hanafuda said:

So despite the fact that Mario Kart Wii is available in all major regions now, and GTAIV is yet to hit Japan (where it will have strong if not amazing sales), it is clear that Mario Kart has taken a major beating.

1)

Worldwide, GTAIV (combined) sells close to twice as much in its first week on sale than Mario Kart's current total.

2)

In the US, the PS3 version of GTAIV alone sells more than Mario Kart Wii in the region, despite the fact that there are about 6 million more Wiis out there. 360 sales just blow it away.

3)

In Others, the PS3 version almost sells more in the first week than a full 4 weeks of Mario Kart Wii sales. This time with about 3 million more Wii owners out there.

Wow.

So did Nintendo's strategy of deliberately going almost head to head with the biggest HD mulitplatform game to date work?

Did the launch of Mario Kart Wii actually take gamers away from GTAIV, or would it have performed better if it were released during a less competitive period?

haha...look at the sales histry for GTA series and Japan.  I love when people are wrong within the first few sentances of a post as I can stop reading the rest of the post

I still think there is a chance mario kart wii will sell more by the end of this generation.

Mario kart has always been about legs. You also forget that the Wii had sold the most in Gta week, than any other non holiday week. So yes nintendo's strategy did work. Nintendo never was trying to take gamers away from gta. They are just keeping gamers on them.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Wait, I thought Wii and PS3 aren't competing?

Haha.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

hanafuda said:

1)

2)

In the US, the PS3 version of GTAIV alone sells more than Mario Kart Wii in the region, despite the fact that there are about 6 million more Wiis out there. 360 sales just blow it away.

3)

In Others, the PS3 version almost sells more in the first week than a full 4 weeks of Mario Kart Wii sales. This time with about 3 million more Wii owners out there.

Wow.

Is this just flamebait? 
Of course GTA4 is outselling MKWii right now! It's far more top-heavy than Mario Kart is. GTA has legs too, but Mario Kart games sell forever. Unless you're extremely new to the industry, GTA4 outselling Mario Kart shouldn't be much of a surprise, not to mention something to gloat about.

You expected what would have to be fourth on the list of Nintendo franchises to actually beat what was the mega-franchise of last generation?

It does appear that MK is somewhat supply restricted in the UK. The major online retailers seem to be out of stock.

MK sales are pretty damn good as far as I'm concerned.

Can you show me one reasonable person who predicted MK would outsell GTAIV in the opening weeks? If not, then you're just rewriting history.

disolitude said:
hanafuda said:

1)

2)

3)

Wow.

haha...look at the sales histry for GTA series and Japan.  I love when people are wrong within the first few sentances of a post as I can stop reading the rest of the post

Thats actually an accurate statement,GTA being a western game sells great in Japan about 200k first week great so theres certainly a growing popularity.