By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Yes, the Wii is competing with the 360 and PS3, and it's easy to prove it

ItsaMii said:
The Wii is competing with Simon, Barbie, Hot Wheels, Lego and My Little Pony. It is just a toy after all, not a true gaming machine. The gaming industry is technology driven, so a console that lacks HD graphics and media capabilities is just a toy.

New rule, all sarcasm must be in pink

Around the Network

I arrived at basically the same conclusion as NJ5 in Fernando's thread, but by using an outside source. To recap:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/30356/Core-gamer-market-is-saturated

Basically, industry growth (all 21% of it) in the past few years was driven by Nintendo alone; removing Nintendo's systems from the equation would mean that the whole gaming industry actually shrank by seven percent last year (which would herald a second crash, as such a drop in a single year is disastrous, especially when you consider the soaring overhead costs of the industry). In the end, you are again left with the two possibilities given by NJ5, and the industry doesn't look like it's crashing horribly.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

This is my reponse form the other thread

It is directly competing if you look at it in a business sense.First if wasn't competing with 360 or Ps3 why press release from both companies stating negative or PR spins on how the wii is doing compare thier consoles. I put like this there are three circles each representing each game company. Microsoft and Sony circle almost overlap each in terms of target market. The wii on the other hand overlaps with them but is bigger because it hitting wider area compare the other consoles.What I mean while the wii is directly competing with the competition it's target market is not dependent on just traditional gamers and therefor skews the traditonal game business model.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

Machina-AX said:
Aligned launches on that tool for me:

PS3 is something like 500,000 WW behind PS2, not 9.2 million :S
360 is something like 1.6 million ahead of the Xbox.

Which would be a net growth going by the OP's reasoning (which I don't agree with in the 1st place, but whatever...).

That's because the launch schedule was totally different for those consoles. Doing it per-territory is the correct way since it allows us to compare how customers are buying them (not many people would fly to Japan just to buy a console).

I hope you're not suggesting that the PS3 is following PS2's footsteps. I don't think you are, but if that's the case I'd like to present you to CrazzyMan and leo-j.

BTW, what don't you agree with regarding my reasoning? Is there any other reasonable theory to explain those observations?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Xiru said:
What big casual games can you name for the 360? All I hear about is Gears of War 2, Ninja Gaiden, and Too Human.

PosGameConsolePublisherHitsScoreSales
Scene It? Lights Camera ActionMicrosoft2,1077.860.48m

Was that a bad joke? Microsoft made a big fuss about this game at E3, with a controller just for it too.

Seems to be quite a bitof selective memory going on in this thread.

I am SuperLloyd!

(Im)patiently awaiting the Dawn of the New World!

Around the Network

Does it really matter though? the wii could sell 200 million systems today, and it would have no effect on ps3. samething goes for ps3, why? cause the top 3rd party games is only gonna be on ps3, so there will always be a reason to buy it. you get what im saying? look....the wii and ps3 have two different audience's thats why the wii STILL SOLD WELL durring the week of gta4. the people who bought the wii that week dont care about games like gta,final fantasy,god of war,mgs4, you understand? look were all those top AAA third party games are going in the future, there not going to the wii for obvious reasons, there going to the ps3. there fighting in the same arena yes, but there going after different trophies. nintendo the casual, and sony the hardcore. im happy nintendo is selling alot of systems, but are they really winning? in terms of sales yes, but not games. to truely dominate a market you have to not only have lead in sales, but also the top games NOBODY ELSE HAS just like the ps2 did. and the wii doesn't have that, almost all the games people played on the ps2 is coming back to ps3. this is not a hate post against nintedo, im stating some fact some people might forget. its like nintendo is finaly selling but there not really winning, if it had the same power as ps3, at the same price the wii is now, this war would already be over. final fantasy, mgs4, and all those top third pary games would be on the wii, some of them exclusive. and at the same time still going for the casual audience because of the price, and nintendos first party games, they would have had this war over with already.  i just feel nintendo took a step back as usual with the power of the system, the same way they took a step back with cartridges on N64. is nintendo selling alot of systems? HELL YES! but the wii will NEVER have the selection of games that made the ps2 the power house that it was. do the casual gamers care about those games? NOPE! but those games are whats going to keep the ps3 very close behind the wii in sales, nintendo is winning in hardware yes, but sony will soon be winning in games. and thats something nobody can denie......I will say it again this is not a wii hate post, im just statings fact people seem to ignore, or forget, wii fans you have to understand where im coming from with this, do you?

NJ5 said:

Lately there have been a lot of threads discussing whether the Wii is directly competing with the PS3 and the 360.

It's very easy to prove that the Wii is directly competing with PS3 and 360. The PS3 and 360 combined are selling nowhere near what the consoles of the previous generation did at the equivalent point in time in the last gen.

Going by aligned launches:

Japan: The PS3 is selling worse than the PS2 (losing by 3.5 million). The 360 is only winning by 150k vs the Xbox.

Europe: The PS3 is losing by 1.2 million vs the PS2. The 360 is winning by 1 million vs the Xbox.

America: The PS3 is losing by 4.5 million vs the PS2. The 360 is winning by 2.4 million vs the Xbox.

As you can see, the HD consoles combined are selling nowhere near what the consoles of the previous generation did (if you count the Gamecube it's even worse)... This means you have two theories to explain the situation:

1- The video games market is experiencing a horrible crash.
2- The Wii is stealing sales from the 360 and the PS3.

Which one are you going with?

Note: You can check the numbers above by using this tool.

Why did you need your own thread? Attention seeking much..

saprano1 said:
Does it really matter though? the wii could sell 200 million systems today, and it would have no effect on ps3.
 The rest of the post is irrellevant after this. Hard numbers show this isn't true. Because the wii is selling great, the PS3 and 360 are selling worse. Look at the original post, or the one that links to the article saying without the wii, the market has shrunk by 7% (that's a huge figure). If the wii did not exist, the PS3 and 360 would be selling better. This is fact.  This past week is an anamoly in the gaming market, an outlier, totally unheard of. You can't use an outlier as basis for an argument. 

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Shameless said:

Why did you need your own thread? Attention seeking much..

1- Because the other threads were pretty much derailed already.

2- Because I want to link to this thread later, when yet another poster comes up with the same thread instead of looking for previous ones. Not that there's anything wrong with creating repeated threads though, as long as they have anything new in them.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The_vagabond7 said:
saprano1 said:
Does it really matter though? the wii could sell 200 million systems today, and it would have no effect on ps3.
 The rest of the post is irrellevant after this. Hard numbers show this isn't true. Because the wii is selling great, the PS3 and 360 are selling worse. Look at the original post, or the one that links to the article saying without the wii, the market has shrunk by 7% (that's a huge figure). If the wii did not exist, the PS3 and 360 would be selling better. This is fact.  This past week is an anamoly in the gaming market, an outlier, totally unheard of. You can't use an outlier as basis for an argument. 

what? i agreed the wii is selling well but so what?, is does not matter to the ps3. two different markets, wii will have its wii games ps3 owners dont care about, and the samething for the ps3. the wii is selling hardware yes, but its never going to have the different selection of games the ps2 had, and soon ps3. and for that reason the ps3 is always going to sell well, like i said nintendo is winning in hardware, but what about the games? thats never going to happen as i explained in my post you called irrellevent..........go wii!