By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - TOP 5 MOVIES

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Regarding musicals, I'm not into Singing in the Rain, or The Wizard of Oz, and I haven't seen Top Hat. I really love West Side Story, but I'd still put it 6th on my list.

Have you seen Happiness of the Katakuris? It's Takashi Miike's musical, with zombies, and random claymation scenes, and tells the beautiful story of a family learning how to get along!

And have you seen Forbidden Zone? The music's all Oingo Boingo, and it's basically a live action cartoon with Hervé Villechaize and titties everywhere.

And I don't think Blade Runner was campy enough to dethrone Flash Gordon, but yeah it should definitely tie with Dune in my serious sci-fi list.

I love My Own Private Idaho but don't think it's as bullshit madness-art like the 5 I listed. I still need to see Drugstore Cowboy though.

I think Beat Takeshi lost his mind when he made Takeshis'. I don't even know how to describe it. But I love it and highly recommend it.

For musicals, don't rely on the movie musicals as they don't do the genre a lot of justice. Call me a snob, but while there definitely are some good movie musicals and movie adaptations of musicals they rarely compare to the real thing.

The *only* one I can even think of being actually better than the stage version is Evita and that's just because Madonna can do some pretty incredible things.