By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 sales up 125% in the UK following the launch of GTAIV

http://www.talkxbox.com/article2579.html

Xbox 360 Sales Up 125% In the UK Following GTA IV Launch

Added 05/08/2008 by Justin McBride ShareThis

More statistics ahoy! Fresh from Microsoft are more reports of the Xbox 360's successes following the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, this time, from across the pond. Microsoft claims that, not only has the Xbox 360 version of GTA IV has outsold the PS3 version by 20% (514,000 versus 413,000, respectively), but sales of the Xbox 360 console itself have jumped by 125% and initial reports from across Europe have reflected similar performance.

"Grand Theft Auto IV has done phenomenally well this week with Xbox 360 version outselling PS3 in our stores," said Gerry Berkley, Trading Manager at Woolworths. "Xbox 360 console sales have seen a big uplift off the back of Grand Theft Auto IV launching. It's clear our customers see Xbox 360 as a great console for this incredible game."

- via Gamedaily

We imagine there's nothing but smiles in Microsoft's camp as the Xbox 360 continues to ride the wave of GTA IV's unprecedented success and they remain optimistic, predicting the Xbox 360 will continue to enjoy a successful sales run, especially considering the exclusive downloadable content set to appear on the system this fall.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Your point being..? The PS3 did really well this week as well. Better than the 360, if I'm not mistaken.

......do you work for Microsoft? 

epsilon72 said:

Your point being..? The PS3 did really well this week as well. Better than the 360, if I'm not mistaken.

......do you work for Microsoft?

It shows that alot of gamers do not care for brand loyalty.

( i work for Microsoft btw ;))

MY point being I posted news.....

I was not aware that I had altered the OP in any way to reflect my own opinion.

Please post the increase in PS3 console sales in UK with GTA IV launch week, starcraft.
I would like to see the victory of the PS3 over the 360 to be shown again and again. It is like watching the replay of your sporting team win a grand final.

Around the Network

How about we compare the two consoles on a global scale?

Last week:
360 - 161,402
PS3 - 197,299

This week:
360 - 265,812
PS3 - 352,186

Growth:
360 - 65%
PS3 - 79%

Arcturus said:

Last week:
360 - 161,402
PS3 - 197,299

This week:
360 - 265,812
PS3 - 352,186

Growth:
360 - 65%
PS3 - 79%

Start a thread?

Assuming he was right two weeks ago, ioi accurately gauged the Xbox 360's performance in the UK this week. 

starcraft said:
Arcturus said:

Last week:
360 - 161,402
PS3 - 197,299

This week:
360 - 265,812
PS3 - 352,186

Growth:
360 - 65%
PS3 - 79%

Start a thread?

Assuming he was right two weeks ago, ioi accurately gauged the Xbox 360's performance in the UK this week.

Looks like a thread was started but then locked:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=26109

So I guess we can continue to discuss it here.

PS3 outsold Xbox360 without price cut, without advertising and without DLC

If they are using percentage it is because they know they have sold less Xbox360 than Sony has sold PS3. They have done the same the week after their price drop using percentage.

Time to Work !

I love it when companies talk about % increases as opposed to actual sales figures.