By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grand Theft Auto 4: A Mirror of The United States

The thing that scares me about McCain is that he see's everything from the point of war. I personally don't think any of these candidates can get us out of Iraq. They will kick us out just like Vietnam.
Building trust with other nations is key to fixing our problems we have very few allies that would follow us into anywhere after the mess in Iraq.

Around the Network
DigitalMe said:
Kasz216 said:
You act like this is new for a GTA game. I seem to rememeber the other GTA games being similar.

Your character is a villian who is going to cause all sorts of trouble... as such the game designers are going to focus on the negatives of society...

why?

Most people are going to feel bad about carjacking grandma's and upstanding citizens.

By focusing on and enhancing the negatives of the US in Liberty City it's easier to think your victims deserve it. That's why in most games where you play a villain(or at best an anti-hero) your main antaganists are going to be villians.

I agree with that reasoning, But I'm not acting like this is new. I did not have a place to post these thoughts when San Andreas came out. I do think if this country had food riots like other countries. Everything would be far worse than anything they can think up at rockstar

I don't see food riots hitting the US. We should be one of the last people hit by the problems with the shortages of the food markets. Heck people still try and kill Dandelions... which were brought to America as a foodstuff. Which is kind of a tragic thing when you consdier the food crisis.

Of course then again, the biggest problem with the food crisis is rice.  Yet still.  It's interesting how people tend to ignore the "free" food that are Dadnelions.

They make a good wine too... or so i hear. 

Totally agree Kasz216. We pay farmers not to grow on farming land to keep grain prices upIf we just shared some of our resources with the rest of the world terrorists would not be safe anywhere. We don't even have to share that much

ssj12 said:
blaydcor said:
Well, yes, a large part of Grand Theft Auto (particularly its humor) is satire. However, there IS a difference between cold cut reality and a cleverly stated parody. Don't take it to seriously; for instance, today I woke up, ate cereal, drove to work , worked, and drove home. I did not steal multiple vehicles, flee policemen, solicit hookers, or blast innocent pedestrians with a shotgun.

that isnt the point and you know it.

he is meaning whats the underlining meaning of some of the chatter in the game. Which is pointing out flaws in the USA at the moment.

Are you really that stupid; did you read the first half of my post? Or perhaps you just don't understand the concept of satire/parody? I was pointing out that, yes, it does make a lot of commentary on the negative aspects on American culture, but in a satirical manner through dialogue/puns/etc. The content itself (i.e, ultra-violent, car stealing, etc) is not meant to be a reflection of American culture.

There, not that I've broken it down to a more simply level, can you grasp what I was saying?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

blaydcor said:
Well, yes, a large part of Grand Theft Auto (particularly its humor) is satire. However, there IS a difference between cold cut reality and a cleverly stated parody. Don't take it to seriously; for instance, today I woke up, ate cereal, drove to work , worked, and drove home. I did not steal multiple vehicles, flee policemen, solicit hookers, or blast innocent pedestrians with a shotgun.

... I did...

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

GTA series is the finest critic against "modernity" and "social progress" out there! Well, at the same time as it contributes a lot to sustain it :)

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
Kwaad said:
blaydcor said:

... I did...

Yeah, I actually only stole one vehicle, plus I killed the policemen. Plus there were no hookers to be found and I had no shotgun ammo so ended up slaughtering innocents with my pistol

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

ssj12 said:
Yep, and everything said in the game is 100% true.

Are you joking? Im assuming you are.

If not...

Please go outside more. Lay off the television.

I truely hope you were joking.

There are towns like North Philli, Compton,CA, that are crazy. But majority of USA aren't even close for that truth. My sarcasm detection must be off..

here are a list of shi**y places that are "hellish on earth"

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/travel_top_ten_200/226_travel_top_ten.html

Some people need to experience the real world before they speak.

I was curious if anyone else picks up on the overwhelming vibe of America is a screwed up country.

America is a great country. (I am European). Its the most advanced, richest country in the world. And in contrary to the European countries it has not degenerated in a damn Nanny state that takes all your money and tries to control everything you do.
Yes there are many examples to the contrary but my overwhelming feeling in the States is freedom. Things are not overegulated, every state is different and you really have a chance to simply do things without having to make a 30pages application at the next state bureau.

Of course there are problems and there are states that are terrible to live in, areas that should not be possible in a rich country (some areas of Miami reminded me of the third world) But all in all I always get a really good feeling when coming to America. And the people are nice. I understand Germans better and think they are more earnest and sensible but Americans are nicer.