By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows Xp Service Pack 3 available now

ssj12 said:
a12331 said:
i installed it on one of my computers and it made it much faster this is a +2 for microsoft. the only thing microsoft can do is make os. (imo)

no. XP and 2000 are their only good OSs. Vista sucks, 98 was ok, ME was failure, 3.1 was ok, the others suck.

NT

Around the Network

I do think linux is nice becuase it i free, but for me i think windows is much easier to understand and i does offer more support for more hardware

chuckd said:
ssj12 said:
a12331 said:
i installed it on one of my computers and it made it much faster this is a +2 for microsoft. the only thing microsoft can do is make os. (imo)

no. XP and 2000 are their only good OSs. Vista sucks, 98 was ok, ME was failure, 3.1 was ok, the others suck.

NT
Do you mean windows 2000? The wikipedia article says that technically, Vista is an NT release.

@a12331 - yeah, hardware support can be a pain occasionally.  Some of the simpler distros aren't that difficult to get working though.  I started out knowing nothing, and here I am now using Gentoo happily for almost 9 months or so. 

ssj12 said:
a12331 said:

I think that 98 is the best, i offered the most security and it was the least hardware consuming os to date for microsoft, ps it is the one that made them billions.

a12331 said:
ssj12 said:
a12331 said:

I think that 98 is the best, i offered the most security and it was the least hardware consuming os to date for microsoft, ps it is the one that made them billions.

2000 is arguably the best.  Hardware requirements weren't high, no DRM crap, and less bugs than 98.  98 was really buggy.

Around the Network
epsilon72 said:
chuckd said:
ssj12 said:
a12331 said:

NT
Do you mean windows 2000? The wikipedia article says that technically, Vista is an NT release.

@a12331 - yeah, hardware support can be a pain occasionally.  Some of the simpler distros aren't that difficult to get working though.  I started out knowing nothing, and here I am now using Gentoo happily for almost 9 months or so. 

interesting choice for linux,gentoo, most choose open-suse or ubuntu. 

a12331 said:
epsilon72 said:
chuckd said:
ssj12 said:
a12331 said:

NT

@a12331 - yeah, hardware support can be a pain occasionally. Some of the simpler distros aren't that difficult to get working though. I started out knowing nothing, and here I am now using Gentoo happily for almost 9 months or so.

interesting choice for linux,gentoo, most choose open-suse or ubuntu.

I see Ubuntu as more of a "get started with linux" distro. I actually switched to linux more than a year ago. I started out with OpenSUSE, a little bit of Kubuntu, and Fedora Core 6. I would've gone bat crazy if I tried to start out with Gentoo. Even coming from Fedora Core, Gentoo was quite a big jump. The customizeability and control I have over my system now is well worth it though.

Most people do like Ubuntu though.  It's quite popular these days. 

epsilon72 said:
a12331 said:
epsilon72 said:
chuckd said:
ssj12 said:
a12331 said:

NT

@a12331 - yeah, hardware support can be a pain occasionally. Some of the simpler distros aren't that difficult to get working though. I started out knowing nothing, and here I am now using Gentoo happily for almost 9 months or so.

interesting choice for linux,gentoo, most choose open-suse or ubuntu.

I see Ubuntu as more of a "get started with linux" distro. I actually switched to linux more than a year ago. I started out with OpenSUSE, a little bit of Kubuntu, and Fedora Core 6. I would've gone bat crazy if I tried to start out with Gentoo. Even coming from Fedora Core, Gentoo was quite a big jump. The customizeability and control I have over my system now is well worth it though.

Most people do like Ubuntu though.  It's quite popular these days. 

ubuntu is popular, i tried using it but it wouldnt read some of my ram and two cores of my proccessor. I seemed easy to use, the best part that loved about it was thousands of free apps, some of which replace expensive apps in windows.            Also you went through many different versions of linux, are u good with computers or a average jo? 

a12331 said:
epsilon72 said:
a12331 said:
epsilon72 said:
chuckd said:
ssj12 said:

ubuntu is popular, i tried using it but it wouldnt read some of my ram and two cores of my proccessor. I seemed easy to use, the best part that loved about it was thousands of free apps, some of which replace expensive apps in windows. Also you went through many different versions of linux, are u good with computers or a average jo?

I went through lots of distros because I wasn't quite satisfied until I got Gentoo working.  I'm okay with computers; I troubleshoot and fix any problems my computers may have or any problems any of my family members' computers get.  I'm not an average joe (considering that the average joe knows virtually nothing about computers), but not an uber guru either, I think.

My Automatic Update isn't finding this. What in the hell?