By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft denies plans of Blu-Ray XBox 360

WiiBox3 said:
M$ screwed up by not having at least on of the following built into every 360.

A 20gig+ Hard Drive
A HD-DVD Player
A Blu-Ray Player

In MSFT's perfect world, yes, the 360 should have a HD player built in. But the price at launch would've been $600-$700 and no one would've bought it. Many would've just waited for the PS3.  MS had to be the 1st one out this gen and rushing it came with risks (no HD player, RROD). I still believe MS made the right decision.

Around the Network
gebx said:
MikeB said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
So if Microsoft released a Blu-Ray disc XBox 360 this could take care of the storage space restrictions of the DVD format increasing storage from 8.5GB per game disc to a huge 50GB per game disc. But Microsoft would have to pay money to Sony because of Sony owning control of Blu-Ray format. Sony invented Blu-Ray format.

Yes, also the developers of the 360's best selling game Rockstar stated they will require more storage for their future games. Non linear open world games certainly aren't suitable for disc swapping.

BTW, a 360 DVD disc can hold no more game data than a few hundred megabytes less than 7 GB, not 8.5 GB.

Microsoft is in a bad position right now, on the one hand developers demand more space and are making sacrifices for their current games, but if they do this the current install base may become upset, as they would need to buy yet another upgrade (like harddrive, Wi-Fi, XBox live subscriptions, etc). But they swallowed unaccpetable hardware issues and poor support handlings before Microsoft execs may think...

If the Blu-Ray announcement is correct as well as Microsoft isn't lying to its customers maybe they are planning a new  (reliable) 360 compatible console and release that as a new product line?

GTA IV could of been done on multiple DVD's.

The main game would be copied on every disc, but cinematics and voices which take a big chunk of space would be on seperate discs ala Blue Dragon

Your using common sense. Didn't you get the Memo? No common sense allowed.

The only way something like this would be used for games would be if Microsoft shipped a free Blu-Ray add-on drive to each existing X360 owner. Obviously, that's not going to happen.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

MikeB said:
Squilliam said:
MikeB said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
So if Microsoft released a Blu-Ray disc XBox 360 this could take care of the storage space restrictions of the DVD format increasing storage from 8.5GB per game disc to a huge 50GB per game disc. But Microsoft would have to pay money to Sony because of Sony owning control of Blu-Ray format. Sony invented Blu-Ray format.

Yes, also the developers of the 360's best selling game Rockstar stated they will require more storage for their future games. Non linear open world games certainly aren't suitable for disc swapping.

BTW, a 360 DVD disc can hold no more game data than a few hundred megabytes less than 7 GB, not 8.5 GB.

Microsoft is in a bad position right now, on the one hand developers demand more space and are making sacrifices for their current games, but if they do this the current install base may become upset, as they would need to buy yet another upgrade (like harddrive, Wi-Fi, XBox live subscriptions, etc). But they swallowed unaccpetable hardware issues and poor support handlings before Microsoft execs may think...

If the Blu-Ray announcement is correct as well as Microsoft isn't lying to its customers maybe they are planning a new (reliable) 360 compatible console and release that as a new product line?

Dont worry, they'll just make the game smaller to fit. You can complain all you want but they will try to make as much money as possible. Take 2 isnt out of financial strife yet.

I hope future 360 games will come on Blu-Ray, this would widen the potential of future multi-platform PS3 games as well (not only in terms of storage, but in terms of sustained predictable streaming potential as well).

At least consumers wouldn't have to deal with disc scratching for their future games anymore. Maybe two versions can co-exist, some games and Blu-Ray movies only supported on the high end version. Many 360 owners bought multiple 360 consoles, I know someone who's Elite died after having experienced several 360 premium failures before this. He has a big 360 games library, bought a HD DVD drive and would probably upgrade to a more reliable 360 console with internal Blu-Ray drive.

I absolutely hope Blu ray doesnt come to 360. It's unecessary and devs will just do 2 discs if the need be. By the way My mate has a highly illegal 360 emulator for PC, and when he views the 360 disc in his PC it states the storage medium as 9.1gb. OT. Disc tech is old. I hope that next gen Discs are done away with. I bought a Micro Sd card the other day online for £12. it's storage is 16Gb. Small Sd type cards or flash drives would be far more efficient. Better load times quicker access and you wouldnt have to worry about scratches. Also The movie industry is concerned about the BLU RAY sales numbers after HD DVD death. It's not going well.   

Meh. no point in microsoft doing this now lol, theres already like 12mil blu-ray players on the market

Around the Network

And I hope they don't, blu-ray sucks (because it ) is expensive and reg. dvds have a better library.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Microsoft is at it again. It appears current 360 owners are getting left out in the cold again. A new 360 will be released this year with an updated graphics chip and built-in Blu-Ray player. Scheduled for release Q3 this year. This is not the 1st time we've been dumped as customers. Besides, dumping support for the original Xbox, Microsoft decided to release an HDMI equipped 360 in 2007. This announcement surfaced right after everyone bought a 360 for Christmas '06. Needless to say, many newly owned 360 owners were not happy that their brand new console was a waste of money. Most would have waited if they would've known HDMI was being added.

Here we are in 2008. Instead of redesigning the 360 to fix the Red Ring of Death, Microsoft decided to shoehorn a Blu-Ray player inside the unit. This may not be a necessary feature for most 360 owners today. However, what if Microsoft decides to use Blu-Ray as a gaming disc? How would that effect current owners then? Given the trend that Microsoft keeps adding tech to keep up with what PS3 already includes, I think that Blu-Ray games are a strong possibility. The only thing left now is a CELL Cpu. Overall, I think Microsoft should do it right the 1st time.

Here is the link:
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/05/xbox-360-overhaul-come-august

Rock on 08- seriously you have to be the biggest fanboi idiot anywhere. where the hell do find crap like the link above. MS wont put a blu-ray player in anything cuz they aren't even selling that well and they have invested a lot of time into digital downloads, blu-ray is great for games but for movies its a different story. DVD's are more convenient then blu-rays because everyone had a DVD player and they aren't that different from blu-ray players, besides how long till movies come in memory chips LOL

JPSandhu said:
Rock on 08- seriously you have to be the biggest  SONY fanboi idiot anywhere. where the hell do find crap like the link above. MS wont put a blu-ray player in anything cuz they aren't even selling that well and they have invested a lot of time into digital downloads, blu-ray is great for games but for movies its a different story. DVD's are more convenient then blu-rays because everyone had a DVD player and they aren't that different from blu-ray players, besides how long till movies come in memory chips LOL

ROCK_ON said "we've" I find that hilarious since he doesn't even own a 360.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive